Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
All of us are right Soulman. You, me, Neeto, our wives, mothers, exes, daughters, all of us. Life is nothing without passion and risk, and we ante up each time we mash the starter button. No apologies offered, I'm thankful each day for the luck to still be alive, richer for all the experiences, and it turns out I sort of LIKE living alone. All I'm saying is to allow for, and to maybe even anticipate, having a different future relationship with calculated risk than you do now. Injuries have a way of hastening the process along. Plus I've gotten old enough now to see the world from the perspective of my two child-bearing daughters, their angst with my exuberant grandsons, and of course all the un-resolved anger at my own over-protective mother that made me want to jump out of airplanes and shit. Mrs. 1neeto's perspective that he shouldn't have been squidding around like that looks pretty valid from where I sit. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Great replies guys, it truly is a lose-lose situation. We are both selfish in our own way. I want to ride again and put myself in the same danger, and she doesn’t want me to. My problem is that I like to ride fast, there’s no way around that, I otherwise find riding boring. That’s why I stopped riding for 15 years after my local racetrack closed down.

As for my injury, I’m improving daily. I think my wound will heal in a few weeks, and I’ll have full mobility on my knee very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
864 Posts
All of us are right Soulman. You, me, Neeto, our wives, mothers, exes, daughters, all of us. Life is nothing without passion and risk, and we ante up each time we mash the starter button. No apologies offered, I'm thankful each day for the luck to still be alive, richer for all the experiences, and it turns out I sort of LIKE living alone. All I'm saying is to allow for, and to maybe even anticipate, having a different future relationship with calculated risk than you do now. Injuries have a way of hastening the process along. Plus I've gotten old enough now to see the world from the perspective of my two child-bearing daughters, their angst with my exuberant grandsons, and of course all the un-resolved anger at my own over-protective mother that made me want to jump out of airplanes and shit. Mrs. 1neeto's perspective that he shouldn't have been squidding around like that looks pretty valid from where I sit. I'll shut up now.
I hear you Kenneth. I guess reading Needo's comment made me reflect on my own past relationships.

"I trust that own day she’ll understand how much this means Ro me and let me."

Life is short and its here to be lived, take advantage of those things you love and want to do. After all one day we all wont be able to ride.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I hear you Kenneth. I guess reading Needo's comment made me reflex on my own past relationships.

"I trust that own day she’ll understand how much this means Ro me and let me."

Life is short and its here to be lived, take advantage of those things you love and want to do. After all one day we all wont be able to ride.
Yep. At 47 years old, I see that window closing. Deep down I know if I make a good enough case, she’ll let me ride again. But I’d be way more scared of disappointing her again. I’m just gonna give it a few months and bring up buying a motorcycle again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep. At 47 years old, I see that window closing. Deep down I know if I make a good enough case, she’ll let me ride again. But I’d be way more scared of disappointing her again. I’m just gonna give it a few months and bring up buying a motorcycle again.

This is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I am prefacing my idea with relationship credentials :

I have never been divorced or married and have lived alone most of my life.

My idea is to ease her into the idea of you riding motorized two-wheeled vehicles via electric bicycles.

Again, I am not a relationship expert.

Was your wife present when your bike was being loaded up? If so, did you notice her demeanor?

It is sad you sold her (the bike) and in your situation probably the best scenario to remain married.

Plus with it out of your lives; her subconscious (anti-bike) mind will not have an everlasting supply of nitromethane fueling it in your home.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
This is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h. I am prefacing my idea with relationship credentials :

I have never been divorced or married and have lived alone most of my life.

My idea is to ease her into the idea of you riding motorized two-wheeled vehicles via electric bicycles.

Again, I am not a relationship expert.

Was your wife present when your bike was being loaded up? If so, did you notice her demeanor?

It is sad you sold her (the bike) and in your situation probably the best scenario to remain married.

Plus with it out of your lives; her subconscious (anti-bike) mind will not have an everlasting supply of nitromethane fueling it in your home.
She was happy when we were transferring the title. She always hated the bike, and it kills me I proved her right. She doesn’t ride so she doesn’t understand. Didn’t even want to ride two up with me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My wife is scared witless of motorcycles. Or anything to do with speed. Which is the opposite of me, only I just love going fast. I don’t feel the need to do so… But where on Oahu can you ride that fast, anyway? At any appreciable speed, you’ll hit Kapolei from Honolulu inside of about 15 minutes? 😂 Was talking to a local near Koko Head that said he hadn’t even been to Honolulu in years because it was so far away. I know he was probably pulling my leg, but I said that’s more like a daily commute… even all the way across the island…

You want to try a compromise? Buy a 250 or 300. That way you can scream around like a MotoGP racer, while your wife can rest easy you won’t be going fast enough to be seriously hurt… 🤔

I’d be feeling you more, @Kenneth , if I didn’t know that I’m twice as safe on a bike as my wife is in her car. While I’m dead tired. And drunk. And stoned. Riding in the middle of Boston’s rush hour…

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
My wife is scared witless of motorcycles. Or anything to do with speed. Which is the opposite of me, only I just love going fast. I don’t feel the need to do so… But where on Oahu can you ride that fast, anyway? At any appreciable speed, you’ll hit Kapolei from Honolulu inside of about 15 minutes? Was talking to a local near Koko Head that said he hadn’t even been to Honolulu in years because it was so far away. I know he was probably pulling my leg, but I said that’s more like a daily commute… even all the way across the island…

You want to try a compromise? Buy a 250 or 300. That way you can scream around like a MotoGP racer, while your wife can rest easy you won’t be going fast enough to be seriously hurt…

I’d be feeling you more, @Kenneth , if I didn’t know that I’m twice as safe on a bike as my wife is in her car. While I’m dead tired. And drunk. And stoned. Riding in the middle of Boston’s rush hour…
It doesn’t help our close friends echo chamber the whole motorcycles are dangerous and nobody should be anywhere near them mentality. Oahu can have some spots to open up a bike. Ask anyone about the pineapple fields, or hitting the tantalus mountain pass. You’re friends were probably not lying about the long way from Honolulu to kapolei. Perspective is a thing in Hawaii. A drive/ride longer than 20 minutes is like crossing state lines.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I went around most of the island, though that was 12 years ago now. Of course, with that kind of scenery, I’d be more inclined to go slow! 😉

Or at 12pm on Lanai, watching 3 cars go through the main intersection in the middle of Lanai City … “Ahh, brah! S’rush hour!” 😄

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
You want to try a compromise? Buy a 250 or 300. That way you can scream around like a MotoGP racer, while your wife can rest easy you won’t be going fast enough to be seriously hurt… 🤔
I like that. Drew will confirm, riding his Dad's baby Ninja.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I went around most of the island, though that was 12 years ago now. Of course, with that kind of scenery, I’d be more inclined to go slow!

Or at 12pm on Lanai, watching 3 cars go through the main intersection in the middle of Lanai City … “Ahh, brah! S’rush hour!”
Isn’t that the only stop light in the whole island?
I like that. Drew will confirm, riding his Dad's baby Ninja.
I certainly wouldn’t mind something like an R3 and ride the piss out of it.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts