Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Had a similar crash a few year ago (low side). Helmet and other gear looked a lot like yours (broken scapula, lots of contusions). My reason for posting is that it took the joy out of riding from me for over a year. Wasn’t sure if I’d ever get back, but with some help from several track instructors and being patient, the joy came back and my fear subsided. If you don’t have any significant psychological downtime great! But if you do, there’s ways to get past it.
I’m glad you’re overcoming your fear. Broken scapula sounds like a very painful recovery. I can’t wait to get back on the bike. Problem is that my wife disapproved the motorcycle from day one and made me promise to quit if I crash. She’s been reminding me of that promise every day. It’s possible this is it for me and riding, or at least for a long time.
One key is to recognize your mistakes and try not to repeat them,
but go on to new and different mistakes.
We all make mistakes. Learn from them and ride safe. (y)
Yep. Gotta recognize the mistake, put the ego aside, and learn from it. My initial reaction was to blame the bump, it was the bump what made me crash. And that would be correct if I didn’t know there was a bump there. But I knew about the bump and went in too fast anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not sure way this reaction, didn't mean to offend.
Hey, you share a video here and say you crashed because "went into a corner bit too hot and hit a bump right before I turned" Looks like you were all using the same line on that on ramp and you were the only one effected by the bump. It "unsettled the suspension enough for me to give up" That's what I'm seeing in your video and what I mentioned above. Skill level for that given speed and the unforeseen, then target fixation which looks very much like giving up.
Like VFR mentioned, we all make mistakes, learn from them.
1neeto apologies if I offended.
Not offended. I knew there were gonna be tough comments when I posted this.

Everyone is affected by the bump. The bump is negotiable as long as you’re not going too fast. I was going too fast. Everything happened very fast, and it’s hard to tell if I fixated or not. Other than the Uh oh when I hit the bump at that speed all I remember is tumbling on the ground. The bike is partly leaned to the moment I crash. I’ve played the crash over and over in my head, and still can’t say exactly what happened.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you don't know exactly what happened, then that means you were riding faster than your mind could keep up. It's possible you did panic and have a simple failure to steer. That's the most common reason people go wide. It's possible you could have saved it.

This is not a criticism. I have crashed because I was riding above my ability. I wasn't hurt except for a sprained thumb, which still aches years later when it gets fatigued—a good reminder for me. But I did slide head-first past a big rock. If I had hit that, I think I would have been crippled or dead.

That crash was a really good lesson for me. Now I try to be 100% calm when riding, and as smooth as possible. Even when leaned over on the edge of the tire in a corner, I must be completely calm and aware of what is happening. If I am not calm, or if I am scared, then that means I'm riding above my ability, and technically I am out of control, and I need to dial it back.

The interesting thing is, riding with that mentality now, I am a better, faster, smoother—and safer—rider than I was before.

So this crash could be a good lesson for you. It could make you a better and safer rider. It's always good when you can learn a lesson relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If you don't know exactly what happened, then that means you were riding faster than your mind could keep up. It's possible you did panic and have a simple failure to steer. That's the most common reason people go wide. It's possible you could have saved it.

This is not a criticism. I have crashed because I was riding above my ability. I wasn't hurt except for a sprained thumb, which still aches years later when it gets fatigued—a good reminder for me. But I did slide head-first past a big rock. If I had hit that, I think I would have been crippled or dead.

That crash was a really good lesson for me. Now I try to be 100% calm when riding, and as smooth as possible. Even when leaned over on the edge of the tire in a corner, I must be completely calm and aware of what is happening. If I am not calm, or if I am scared, then that means I'm riding above my ability, and technically I am out of control, and I need to dial it back.

The interesting thing is, riding with that mentality now, I am a better, faster, smoother—and safer—rider than I was before.

So this crash could be a good lesson for you. It could make you a better and safer rider. It's always good when you can learn a lesson relatively cheaply.
Yeah it’s not my first crash, but definitely the fastest. Lesson is one I knew, which is ride your ride and don’t go over your head. I had a faster rider on a much faster bike (2021 R1) in front of me. I was keeping up on the corners I’m most comfortable with without feeling like I was pushing too hard. The extra confidence got the best of me later that morning. Lesson learned, I was lucky.
Any accident you can walk away from is the greatest gift.

Good on you, neeto1, for posting your experience. Everyone can learn from this. (y)
Thank you. I’m glad it has sparked some good discussion, and I appreciate all feedback even if I don’t like it.

Here’s a pic someone took that same morning but on a different corner.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Concerning going wide into a corner, although I haven't (yet) crashed due to this, I think I can relate, because it happened to me more than a few times when I started riding.

The no. 1 reason for going wide is entering the corner a bit (or a lot, depending on your riding style) too fast than what you feel comfortable with.
No. 2 reason is a poor choice of line (i.e. apexing way too early).
No. 3 is fear of leaning past a personal limit.

Mix the above at your choice and you have the perfect recipe for going wide into a corner.

At that point the natural reaction to the threat is "freezing", which means getting muscles so tense that any fine or smooth motion skill is compromised, and all you can do (if you can do anything at all) is abrupt and rather violent movements, which of course are detrimental to the situation you're currently in.

Reactions: 1neeto

·
Registered
329 Posts
So, you named it Hospital Corner? :LOL:

There is one spot on Little Tujunga Canyon Rd where water runs across the road in a stream. But only once in a while in winter and when it rains enough. I call it Rickys Creek because Ricky came flying in there one day and did not slow down for the water. Afterward he said, I fell in the water but didn't get wet.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So, you named it Hospital Corner? :LOL:

There is one spot on Little Tujunga Canyon Rd where water runs across the road in a stream. But only once in a while in winter and when it rains enough. I call it Rickys Creek because Ricky came flying in there one day and did not slow down for the water. Afterward he said, I fell in the water but didn't get wet.
Lol complete coincidence. It’s known as hospital corner because there’s a hospital right next to it. Which is the hospital I ended up going.

And funny story about Ricky’s creek!

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
glad you still here, and the gear saved your butt!
live and learn, ride safe...
Lesson learned. If you are going to crash, be sure to do it right next to a hospital. : -)
Here’s the funny not so funny part. I crashed next to a hospital. I ran across the road to get to my bike, my friends picked it up. Called a friend with a truck, help load the bike to the truck. When we got home help offload the bike, and then I took off my gear and noticed the hole on my knee. By then the adrenaline was gone and started to feel the pain. Changed clothes and my wife drove me to the same hospital that on-ramp is at.

Wear your gear my brothers. Right now I have a nasty wound on my knee (wanna see a pic?) but I’m otherwise ok.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Problem is that my wife disapproved the motorcycle from day one and made me promise to quit if I crash. She’s been reminding me of that promise every day. It’s possible this is it for me and riding, or at least for a long time.
You can always get a new wife... :)

I'm glad you're OK.

I crashed my trusty GS500F by going 70' off of a cliff with it and into rocks. My gear saved me, the bike was trashed. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time and decided to wait with a purchase of another bike until the divorce is over. I can tell you: I wanted to ride again the very next day.

It helps to be honest with yourself about the true reasons of why the crash happened: only then you have a chance to be safer, but also get over the fear of riding (for those who experience it). If the cause is something nebulous, or "bad luck" or who-the-heck-knows-what, it's hard to improve. If you find that this was indeed distraction, riding over one's limit, a mechanical failure that could've been avoided by proper maintenance... things that are in your control: it's easier to address those and move on in a productive way.

In my case, the falling-off-of-a-cliff incident was caused by distraction: thinking about the upsetting call earlier that day, with my ex-wife-to-be just as I was dragging my knee in a corner. The same corner I have tested dozens of times. Learned my lesson: don't ride if I don't feel 100% (or at least pull back a lot if I have to ride back home and I'm not feeling great). Riding on the limit is only good when I'm feeling 100%.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I'm glad you're OK.

In my case, the falling-off-of-a-cliff incident was caused by distraction: thinking about the upsetting call earlier that day, with my ex-wife-to-be just as I was dragging my knee in a corner. The same corner I have tested dozens of times. Learned my lesson: don't ride if I don't feel 100% (or at least pull back a lot if I have to ride back home and I'm not feeling great). Riding on the limit is only good when I'm feeling 100%.
This is a huge reminder for myself to not ride when emotions are high. I have totaled 2 cars in my younger years driving pissed off/upset/emotional. The divorce news wreck reminds me of my roommate in a critical care unit. He was married and no wife ever came to visit him. He crashed his motorcycle and went off a somewhat rural highway in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains outside of Seattle. He was missing and was deep in a thicket of blackberries for a very long time. No one saw it happen. Luckily a tow truck driver heard about it on the news. He recalled a similar situation where a lady was missing; while driving the tow truck he kept an eye out for any sign of the missing lady or her car. The tow truck driver spotted evidence of a car going into a thick patch of blackberries. He found her in there in her car about 200 feet into the blackberries.Blackberry vines kinda close up behind whatever penetrates them. Anyhow long story longer.... The tow truck driver went and checked the same spot. It is fortunate that tow truck driver was listening to the news because there was not much evidence of something recently blasting into the blackberries. My hospital roommate got paralyzed from the waist down in the crash. I have a suspicion that he was riding in an emotional state. I felt terrible for the guy especially because I had a punctured lung and 24 broken bones and including 2 in my neck and 5 in my back. and I was able to walk to the bathroom. He also had no one come to see him;I had many visitors; I offered him some of my visitors and he was not interested. Hell, I walked out 0f the hospital 3 days after I became conscious from the 8 day drug induced coma they had put me in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GLAD everybody is OK.. I had a spill at the track 4 years ago on my track 600RR. 100+ with the knee down and then fool I was passing on the inside decided to take my line. In short, I ended up with 23 screws, two plates on my left shoulder AND 2 fractured ribs.. bike was fine BTW 🙄. After the surgery I did therapy for 4 months and I was back to riding my SV everyday to work.. even today. Havent been at the track since - not really sure if it was family, getting more Cisco certs, or my truck blowing up the motor, OR because I was tracking my car as well. But anyhow, I never lost the passion and I hope to track next year - truck is running again and I dont like hitching a ride. I really need to go because if my riding gear had knee pucks they would be worn out from riding the streets 🤣.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WoW!! So glad you are ok. I have had lots of dirt crashes but never street. I do not know when I will have to give 2 wheels up, but the day I do. Is when I go get a Spyder F3. I have demo day road 4 of these and they are a blast and very, very safe. And fast too. I love the forward controls. It's like a wave runner on the street. I got ran off the road by a semi once at like 70 in my car and was able drift it sideways thru the grass on the highway and get back on the road. I know if that happened on a bike I would eat it. But, if same thing happened on this thing, I think the outcome would be different. But, who knows.
They are very stable and the safeties are pretty amazing. The manual has a very hard to squeeze stock clutch :)
Just passing it on that there is a great alternative to feeling the open air. Maybe the better half will approve. Good Luck and get better!! And as for the haters if any, oh well. Lol.
But, I still got my SV until that day ends.
P.S. In my opinion, The RT feels like sitting on a bar stool and the Ryker is about half the size, weight and price and I have not driven the Ryker yet.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·

I'm glad you're OK.

I crashed my trusty GS500F by going 70' off of a cliff with it and into rocks. My gear saved me, the bike was trashed. I was in the middle of a divorce at the time and decided to wait with a purchase of another bike until the divorce is over. I can tell you: I wanted to ride again the very next day.

It helps to be honest with yourself about the true reasons of why the crash happened: only then you have a chance to be safer, but also get over the fear of riding (for those who experience it). If the cause is something nebulous, or "bad luck" or who-the-heck-knows-what, it's hard to improve. If you find that this was indeed distraction, riding over one's limit, a mechanical failure that could've been avoided by proper maintenance... things that are in your control: it's easier to address those and move on in a productive way.

Thanks! Yeah I’ve been quite honest about the whole thing. Of course at first the excuses were flying, I blamed the bump, but in reality that bump is always there, I just went over it at a much higher speed than usual, and didn’t have the skill to negotiate it at that speed. Everything happened very fast.
And at the track..........

Or maybe you prefer to say the limit is lower on public roads. :)
That’s the thing, I never go balls to the wall in the street, it was just that one off. That’s all it takes.
This is a huge reminder for myself to not ride when emotions are high. I have totaled 2 cars in my younger years driving pissed off/upset/emotional. The divorce news wreck reminds me of my roommate in a critical care unit. He was married and no wife ever came to visit him. He crashed his motorcycle and went off a somewhat rural highway in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains outside of Seattle. He was missing and was deep in a thicket of blackberries for a very long time. No one saw it happen. Luckily a tow truck driver heard about it on the news. He recalled a similar situation where a lady was missing; while driving the tow truck he kept an eye out for any sign of the missing lady or her car. The tow truck driver spotted evidence of a car going into a thick patch of blackberries. He found her in there in her car about 200 feet into the blackberries.Blackberry vines kinda close up behind whatever penetrates them. Anyhow long story longer.... The tow truck driver went and checked the same spot. It is fortunate that tow truck driver was listening to the news because there was not much evidence of something recently blasting into the blackberries. My hospital roommate got paralyzed from the waist down in the crash. I have a suspicion that he was riding in an emotional state. I felt terrible for the guy especially because I had a punctured lung and 24 broken bones and including 2 in my neck and 5 in my back. and I was able to walk to the bathroom. He also had no one come to see him;I had many visitors; I offered him some of my visitors and he was not interested. Hell, I walked out 0f the hospital 3 days after I became conscious from the 8 day drug induced coma they had put me in.
Wow that’s a crazy story! Glad you’re still here with us.
GLAD everybody is OK.. I had a spill at the track 4 years ago on my track 600RR. 100+ with the knee down and then fool I was passing on the inside decided to take my line. In short, I ended up with 23 screws, two plates on my left shoulder AND 2 fractured ribs.. bike was fine BTW . After the surgery I did therapy for 4 months and I was back to riding my SV everyday to work.. even today. Havent been at the track since - not really sure if it was family, getting more Cisco certs, or my truck blowing up the motor, OR because I was tracking my car as well. But anyhow, I never lost the passion and I hope to track next year - truck is running again and I dont like hitching a ride. I really need to go because if my riding gear had knee pucks they would be worn out from riding the streets .
Yeah go hit that track when you can!
WoW!! So glad you are ok. I have had lots of dirt crashes but never street. I do not know when I will have to give 2 wheels up, but the day I do. Is when I go get a Spyder F3. I have demo day road 4 of these and they are a blast and very, very safe. And fast too. I love the forward controls. It's like a wave runner on the street. I got ran off the road by a semi once at like 70 in my car and was able drift it sideways thru the grass on the highway and get back on the road. I know if that happened on a bike I would eat it. But, if same thing happened on this thing, I think the outcome would be different. But, who knows.
They are very stable and the safeties are pretty amazing. The manual has a very hard to squeeze stock clutch :)
Just passing it on that there is a great alternative to feeling the open air. Maybe the better half will approve. Good Luck and get better!! And as for the haters if any, oh well. Lol.
But, I still got my SV until that day ends.
P.S. In my opinion, The RT feels like sitting on a bar stool and the Ryker is about half the size, weight and price and I have not driven the Ryker yet. View attachment 63423
My better half keeps reminding me about not wanting me to ride again. I’m really upset because she just doesn’t understand, but at the same time I don’t want to be selfish. Very shitty situation.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts