Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Your front tire gets in the crap, and it's all over.

Saw a guy do something similar in front of me a few years ago. It was a sweeping right hander and he got his tires into the reflectors in the middle of the road. They were set down into little holes in the road, and when got on those the front went away on him.

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's amazing how the helmet visor got scraped up, but the camera was okay. Anyway, it shows the value of full-face helmets. You wouldn't want those scrapes on your face.
The camera actually came off the mount, and was dangling from the tether. But still quite amazing that all it has is a small scratch here and there. No footage of that really sucks. I’d love to see because it would tel the full story of what happened.
Glad you're relatively unscathed bud. What brand of suit were you wearing?
Doesn't it show? Should be Alpinestars.
Replica of Alpinestars GP tech V4.
What a testament to good gear. At this point I only go out with a one-piece race suit similar to the one pictured, full gauntlet gloves, full-face helmet, and over-the-shin track boots. Been that way for years now and I haven't had to test anything the way you did, but it's exactly these situations why I put all that stuff on.
Yeah, to think I was riding rather aggressively with just riding jeans and mesh jacket makes me cringe. No gear is 100% safe even with air bags, but it could be the difference between being in pain at home, or spending 3 months in a hospital bed.

Also my gloves were real deal Alpinestars. All I have a small bruise on my left thumb. And these are the SP-8 which are far from their top of the line gloves. Sometimes people say gauntlets are not necessary, but just look at the wrist cuffs on my gloves. Speaks for itself.
He also mentions it’s just a replica…
Yeah made in Pakistan by Arcadia Leatherworks. They did a good job but I bet the real thing would’ve faired better. And there’s little things like back protector pocket and armor I would think the real deal would be a bit better. But overall I really can’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good your ok and the gear did its job! Watching your video several times it looks like you were target fixated? Yes?
I won’t rule that out. I do remember I was trying to follow the line of the rider in front of me. I do think after hitting the bump I remember looking at the edge of the road because I knew I wasn’t making it. If I had that chin GoPro footage it would tell me exactly where I was looking.

Zoomed a bit more and slowed it down. It almost looks like my rear went first.

· Registered
5,796 Posts
I think “replica” is the wrong term for what those leathers are if they’re just labeled “AlpineStars.” I believe that term is for legit brands mimicking/reproducing a famous racer’s design, like with all those replica helmets

· Registered
726 Posts
@ShaggyZ : that's what misled me. I thought he referred to a true replica suit, rather than a knock-off.

Glad it worked as intended, though.

· Registered
699 Posts
Definitely better than nothing. I’m happy with my armoured mesh jacket, but definitely need gloves, pants and shoes/boots before I’d really start pushing it…

It does put other videos into a different light. You watch a rider seemingly go straight off the road and you wonder, “What were they thinking?” When similar things you can’t see, like gravel, sand or bumps might just make it the more prudent decision than trying to lean it ‘til you scrape something… 😉

· Registered
921 Posts
Definitely better than nothing. I’m happy with my armoured mesh jacket, but definitely need gloves, pants and shoes/boots before I’d really start pushing it…

It does put other videos into a different light. You watch a rider seemingly go straight off the road and you wonder, “What were they thinking?” When similar things you can’t see, like gravel, sand or bumps might just make it the more prudent decision than trying to lean it ‘til you scrape something… 😉
I've seen this play out three times this year and in all three cases the rider went in to hot for his/her skill level. Not saying gravel, sand or bumps are not a thing, just saying 99.9 percent of the time its too much speed and not enough skill that causes a rider to go wide. I didn't see anything in the video that interfered with leaning the bike with the rider behind 1neeto. His crash mimics all three crashes I've witnessed this year....going in too fast, overwhelmed for given skill level and target fixation which can prevent the rider from leaning the bike.

· Registered
398 Posts

I'd rather take my chances on trying to make the turn and end up low siding,
versus running off and crashing for certain.

· Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,289 Posts
It's easy to judge someone's choices from a grainy video. Did anyone see Quartararo go wide last weekend in Australia? It does happen, sometimes we go in too fast, and sometimes we straighten up when we know that the bumps and road surfaces cannot handle lean angle. Neeto made the right choice in buying proper gear and owning up to the fact that he was hauling through this corner and knew the surface wasn't great. Sometimes we get it, and sometimes the road gets us.

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's easy to judge someone's choices from a grainy video. Did anyone see Quartararo go wide last weekend in Australia? It does happen, sometimes we go in too fast, and sometimes we straighten up when we know that the bumps and road surfaces cannot handle lean angle. Neeto made the right choice in buying proper gear and owning up to the fact that he was hauling through this corner and knew the surface wasn't great. Sometimes we get it, and sometimes the road gets us.
Exactly. It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback someone else’s crash, and judge his/her skill level and go like “well I would’ve done this different”. Maybe, maybe not. I’ve owned to my mistake, and that mistake was going into the corner too fast. I tried to turn in, but the bump unsettled the suspension enough for me to give up. If the bump wasn’t there, I’m sure I would’ve still gone wide but made the corner. Hindsight is always 20/20.

· Registered
2008 SV650S
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I think “replica” is the wrong term for what those leathers are if they’re just labeled “AlpineStars.” I believe that term is for legit brands mimicking/reproducing a famous racer’s design, like with all those replica helmets
@ShaggyZ : that's what misled me. I thought he referred to a true replica suit, rather than a knock-off.

Glad it worked as intended, though.
Sorry for my poor choice of words. But yes, it’s a knock-off of Alpinestars $2000 suit. Paid $500 and it was also made to my measurements.

It does put other videos into a different light. You watch a rider seemingly go straight off the road and you wonder, “What were they thinking?” When similar things you can’t see, like gravel, sand or bumps might just make it the more prudent decision than trying to lean it ‘til you scrape something…
Mesh jacket will disintegrate at anything over 45 mph. You’ll get initial impact protection from the armor, but you will get road rash. As for gloves, your hands is your livelihood, but the best gloves you can afford. The Alpinestars SP8 that saved me go for maybe $100. All I have is a bruise on my right thumb.

As for your other point, yes, every single accident is different, and it’s easy to judge. Instead of judging, people should study the available footage, and the story of the rider and learn from that. Nobody knows how he/she would’ve reacted to that same situation.

· Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar crash a few year ago (low side). Helmet and other gear looked a lot like yours (broken scapula, lots of contusions). My reason for posting is that it took the joy out of riding from me for over a year. Wasn’t sure if I’d ever get back, but with some help from several track instructors and being patient, the joy came back and my fear subsided. If you don’t have any significant psychological downtime great! But if you do, there’s ways to get past it.

· Registered
921 Posts
Exactly. It’s easy to Monday morning quarterback someone else’s crash, and judge his/her skill level and go like “well I would’ve done this different”. Maybe, maybe not. I’ve owned to my mistake, and that mistake was going into the corner too fast. I tried to turn in, but the bump unsettled the suspension enough for me to give up. If the bump wasn’t there, I’m sure I would’ve still gone wide but made the corner. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Not sure way this reaction, didn't mean to offend.
Hey, you share a video here and say you crashed because "went into a corner bit too hot and hit a bump right before I turned" Looks like you were all using the same line on that on ramp and you were the only one effected by the bump. It "unsettled the suspension enough for me to give up" That's what I'm seeing in your video and what I mentioned above. Skill level for that given speed and the unforeseen, then target fixation which looks very much like giving up.
Like VFR mentioned, we all make mistakes, learn from them.
1neeto apologies if I offended.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts