Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a decent spill yesterday at around 80 mph. Bike is surprisingly fixable, only thing that broke was my right foot peg, nipple that connects brake reservoir to master cylinder on the front brake (brake lever survived), a scratch on the tank, and some rash on the right side front fairing. Sorry no pics yet because I’m a quite some pain. Good news is that my full gear protected me immensely. I would definitely be on a hospital bed right now if it wasn’t for my gear. Biggest injury is a gash on my right knee. Both my ankles are swollen, and I have a bruise on my right elbow. Nothing broke according to the X-rays and cat scan. I’ll be limping for a while, but crashing at that speed, and actually walking to the ER on my two feet is quite the good day in the motorcycle crash office. Ok I have some pics of the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, you broke that suit in. Bummer, glad you walked away as well as you did though. Lessons learned, or was this something else?
Oh it was 100% on me. Went into a corner a bit too hot and hit a bump right before I turned in. By the time the front loaded, I had no chance. I know that bump is there, and usually negotiate it by entering a bit slower, but this time I grabbed that front brake a tiny bit too late.

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts
Oh it was 100% on me. Went into a corner a bit too hot and hit a bump right before I turned in. By the time the front loaded, I had no chance. I know that bump is there, and usually negotiate it by entering a bit slower, but this time I grabbed that front brake a tiny bit too late.

Dang, I have a couple of those bumps before a turn on my canyon route. I do my braking before I turn in, but you know how it is: carry a little more speed each time, brake less to keep that momentum going. I know I need to watch it.
So this was on the street or at the track?

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I'm so glad you're ok! Amazing what good gear will do to mitigate injuries.
Thank you! Yeah when the ER doctor came to me and was looking at his chart he actually asked if I was really in a motorcycle accident. I told him about the gear and he was so sure I would be at least still unconscious. The fact I actually help load the bike to a truck, and then unloaded it at home, took off my gear and changed clothes and decided to go hospital after finally seeing my knee, should convince just about anyone to ways wear gear.
Dang, I have a couple of those bumps before a turn on my canyon route. I do my braking before I turn in, but you know how it is: carry a little more speed each time, brake less to keep that momentum going. I know I need to watch it.
So this was on the street or at the track?
Squidding on the street since we have no racetrack since 2006. I was extremely lucky I didn’t hit anything stationary, or my bike didn’t torpedo a car or another fellow rider. I slid and tumbled more times than I can count. I remember thinking to myself holy crap I’m still tumbling! Pretty surreal because everything happens so fast, it takes a few moments to process. I even ran to the other side of the street because that’s where my bike was. Then of course the adrenaline stopped and I realized I was hurt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah 80 mph is a pretty damn fast fall. Esp on the street, not the track where there is less stuff to hit.
Suit looks like it can maybe be fixed. Helmet and gloves look toast.
Just think, if not wearing those YOU might be toast.
Or at minimum, AFU and in a worse world of hurt.
Looks like you got off easy, 1neeto. I'm glad of that for you.
Ride safe all!

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you're OK, 80mph is a fast get-off!
Yeah I’m guessing because I saw the onboard video of the rider behind me and his speedometer said 80, but he was quite behind approaching. Considering how far me and my bike slid, that sounds about right.
send the leathers to barnacle bills and get them fixed
Yeah maybe so. This is a replica suit, so if it costs more to fix than just get another one then I’ll just get another one.
And here I was a bit sad that mine blew over and got marked up, with the same footpeg damage… Glad you came out of that mostly unscathed!
Thanks! Gear or not, I was still very lucky.
Yeah 80 mph is a pretty damn fast fall. Esp on the street, not the track where there is less stuff to hit.
Suit looks like it can maybe be fixed. Helmet and gloves look toast.
Just think, if not wearing those YOU might be toast.
Or at minimum, AFU and in a worse world of hurt.
Looks like you got off easy, 1neeto. I'm glad of that for you.
Ride safe all!
Yeah the corner I fell had tons of runoff room which is one of the reasons why I pushed. Corners that have a guard rail I take easy because no gear will save you from that. It really sucks because we were done with the ride and we’re heading to the gas station but we decided to hit one last corner. It is not my favorite corner because of those bumps, but I still made the bonehead move to push.

One of the things that suck the most is that my GoPro was dead by then. It survived with barely a single scratch.

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts
What a testament to good gear. At this point I only go out with a one-piece race suit similar to the one pictured, full gauntlet gloves, full-face helmet, and over-the-shin track boots. Been that way for years now and I haven't had to test anything the way you did, but it's exactly these situations why I put all that stuff on.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts