Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Before I take my 2007 SV650 to the shop and get taken for lots of $$$, I figure I would try this forum.

My bike sat for 2 weeks. When I turned the ignition on, nothing happened. I tried to push start it. When I finally got it running, the display was malfunctioning. For example, revving the engine in neutral made the speedometer mph's go up. The bike ran even when the bike was going through the self test. The bike had off and on power, sometimes the display would just be blank while engine was going. I made it to a Midas shop and a mechanic used a battery pack to jump start the bike, but it died after 20 seconds. He said my battery was shot. I put in a brand new battery. I believe the RPM's went to 7k then back down to zero. When we shut it off and started the bike again, it did not go through the self test (needle going up then down). I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and even overnight without success. When I turn the bike off I hear a little electric sounding stutter that lasts maybe .2 seconds. I'm not sure if it did that before. The bike otherwise runs okay. I tried to reset the tachometer needle but don't know how to access it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
So the bike runs fine now?

Any other gauge problem(s) besides no 7k rpm self-test swing?

Good idea to check charging voltage, should see about 14v at the battery terminals with engine at 5k rpm.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
Is the gauge needle stuck under the post instead of above?

That can happen if battery voltage goes wonky. If so, just need to open the gauge and rotate the needle counter-clockwise to the above post position.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. I'll check the charging voltage. The needle is above. The tachometer works like normal. Should I open up the cluster? If so, how do I do that? Is it the ECU or the tachometer?

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
The tach itself does the self-test function, the ECM in not in control for that.

But if both bike and the gauge work fine, I wouldn't worry about the self-test. Ride and be happy. :)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
The tach will do the self test thing showing 7K only after the battery has been removed for quite some time. I've swapped ECU's which needs the battery disconnected without triggering the 7K test function so there must be some capacitance or small battery inside the cluster keeping it powered during brief periods without battery. The clock stays current for a while by itself too...so if it's working OK...worry not and do as TeeRiver said 'Ride and be happy!':)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, doesn't the RPM gauge max out when you turn on the bike? My tach doesn't do that anymore. I think my RPM's are off now too. When I'm in 6th gear at exactly 5k RPM, I believe my bike used to go 65. now it says 68. I think it is 3 mph off across all gears. How do I remove the tachometer. Do I have to take off the small windshield? I want to try to calibrate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
TeeRiver proved a while back that the tachometer movement reads accurately...it's the ECU signal to it that has the skew built in of about 10%. The speedometer also has some error built in that needs external circuitry to correct and is more likely your problem than the gauge cluster.

If you disconnect the battery for a good while...give it overnight...the cluster should show the '7K test' when you key on the first time after reconnecting power. If it shows 7k then the meter is working as intended.

The early versions of TeeRivers FuelBot had the option of driving the tach by the injector pulses rather than the dedicated ECU line...and it was interesting to see it slow down by a few hundred rpm when activating this feature. Problem with it was the delay in counting the injector pulses caused some tach lagging and this was dropped in later units, but it showed that the tach needle just responds to what signal it's given so it's very unlikely that yours needs calibration.

It's been so long since I've run the bike without a FuelBot of some generation hooked up I can't say if the stock tach did a full sweep self check...but I don't think the stock SV does this. Perhaps others can verify this or not but the latest version of FuelBot does not full sweep on startup as the earlier ones did. I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have also lost the self-test function after having the battery disconnected. It seems that many owners do not have the self-test function. Does anyone know how to get it back????

·
Registered
303 Posts
As TeeRiver and RecoilRob said everything is fine.

The bike does not do a needle sweep every time you turn it on.

Do not get wrapped around the axle on this. Go ride your bike and enjoy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts