Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure about anyone else out there, but I have become truly captured by this event and the road racers who ride it. In the past month I have ordered the 2004 review DVD, the "One mans Island" DVD, the 2005 Review DVD, and got the "TT Superbikes" PS2 simulator video game.,, even ordered a centinniel IOM TT patch from england. (Calendar on the way too) These winters are absolute hell in the midwest (lack of regular riding).........anyway what keeps me going is escaping into the riding and history of this race. It is truly the seat of motorcycle racing in the world steeped in tradition and history. These racers are the men of men when it comes to riding with it all hung out, truly awesome stuff. I'm not sure I can watch MotoGP again without a little snicker...its just not even comparable. If you are not familiar with it, look into it, its a great pastime in the winter. A Trip to this place is immenant in the next few years for me. 8) 8) www.iomtt.com

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm with ya man. I've watched the 2004 dvd twice (at a friends house) and I want ALL OF THEM! :D
This particular branch of competitive motorcyclling is mind boggling to me. It's so awesome I can't get enough.
It's soooooooo disapointing that nobody offers the box set DVD's you can get of the TT in the UK. They have one set that is from '89 to '99. Oh god that would be so rad to have! BUT NOBODY SELLS IN IN NORTH AMERICA, that I can find anyway. :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
if you could find it through google.co.uk you'll find that the shipping isn't completely intolerable from the UK, I ordered a faceshield for my impossible-to-shop-for vemar helmet from a UK site and the shipping to hawaii (which is the worst s**thole to ship anything to) was only 25 dollars, which is almost the same as anywhere on the mainland to hawaii.

what I mean is that you should look at UK sites if you really want it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a lover of those TT review DVDs also. Be sure to get the 2002 disc, which is the last year David Jeffries raced and basically won everything. I bought most of mine on eBay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
True roads racing is absolutely brilliant - the most entertaining and exciting thing you'll ever see. There are many events other than the IOM TT, I usually visit races in Ireland a couple of times a year, as my in-laws live in Dublin the Skerries race is an easy one for me, and I've been to the North West 200 a few times, also there are many smaller events all over the country, NI and the Republic, throughout the season. You've got to see it to believe it, the spectators are closer to the action than you'd ever get in any other sort of motorsport, standing in fields behind hedges and walls, the racing is sometimes just a few feet from you - great photo opportunities.

See: http://www.realroadracing.com/

And for an example of an Irish road circuit with a map and notes see: http://www.tandragee100.com/html/circuit.html

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah I watch the IOMTT DVD all the time to help get me through the rainy/snowy/cloudy/sh#$ty season here in Michigan

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I'll have to get some of those DVD's. I enjoy the IOMTT race and I am always looking for something to help get through winter.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Brady - are you thinking of going up for the race? I've got to get on booking a room of campsite and a ticket for the ferry for the trip up.

·
Registered
597 Posts
GeorgeZboy said:
Brady - are you thinking of going up for the race? I've got to get on booking a room of campsite and a ticket for the ferry for the trip up.
I am SO thinking of going, and will probably also take the ferry over, and ride the long way back. I already warned my wife, and she asked if she could go too. Could be a looonnnggg ride two-up, but it's possible. We were up there by car last summer, and it was torture seeing all those roads without the SV. Pics here http://www.scaleautoworks.com/CapeBretonphthumbs.html.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Just an FYI, netflix has a few of the Isle of Mann TT reviews. I put the 2002 at the top of our queue, I saw the 2003 and 2004 dvd's on there also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Years ago, Champion Plugs in the UK had a film made called "The throttle works both ways"...could have been 1973 ish, and featured TT greats like Charlie Williams, Percy Tait, Dave Croxford, to name but three. It had some of the first ever on-bike camera shots that I know of, with cameras strapped to the tank of various bikes. If you ever see a copy (and they are as rare as hen's teeth), snaffle it!!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Still trying to get the time off so I can go this year... Should be off to the NW200 in Ireland, got that weekend secured. It's all good :) I can't really be bothered with track races in the flesh, I reckon they make better TV events, but road racing's got to be done up close and personal, and ideally drunk and sunburnt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out this link of the 2005 North West 200 posted on sv650.org
http://www.u.tv/nw200/

The on board camera on Raymond Porter's bike is first class.
Last year Michael Rutter was clocked at over 200mph on the road to-wards Coleraine.

This year I will be sitting on the grass bank just down from the magic roundabout, the speed of these guys is unbelievable and the sound is something else.

Enjoy

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Homer, more great stuff, its cool that there is this real road racing going on over there. its the seat of all road racing to me. the track stuff is now boring to watch, except maybe superbikes. thanks alot, michal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts