Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No blood and gore folks, just unadulterated information.

A buddy of mine sent me this link ~

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/091016arai.htm

It really offers an interesting perspective from Arai and Jay Leno on helmet sizing. I hope your buckets are sized correctly b/c like they say, even the $.02 melon is worth protecting.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
farkle. always a day late and a dollar short! :deadhorse: guess i'll just be on my way!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Now I can save it. Tried searching for it 3 or 4 months ago when it was posted here and couldn't find the post. So thanks.

And dont beat that dead horse too bad man :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:nana: ha smitty it ended up helping someone!:headbang:

seriously, if anyone has not seen (twice) watch it. If for nothing else then listening to Leno talk about ANY helmet protecting that ungodly chin.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I see nothing?? Is there a video link in there or what??

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you click on the link it should bring up a video player where you have to hit play.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interesting - I hadn't seen that before, wish he would have demonstrated a measurement. Google filled in the blanks though.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have met and spoken to Bruce Porter a couple times at AMA races. Great guy with a ton of knowledge. Also Robert (owner of the service pavilion) is a great guy to deal with and he will make sure that you have the right size. He also doesnt charge extra if you need the padding changed.

+1 for Arai

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
If you click on the link it should bring up a video player where you have to hit play.
I dunno, 3 time clicking the link and the video was there?? Anways I was up at the Helmet Shop trying on helmets today and I think the Scorpion EXO-400 in a large fit me best over all, really snug in the cheeks which I don't get in my HJC. Oddly the EXO-700 has a forehead pressure point. The RF-1000 also fit nicely but the XL was just a little to big around my face. I might be coming home soon with a new lid.

I just wish all makers would have multi-sized cheek and head liners for a better custom fit helmet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dunno, 3 time clicking the link and the video was there?? Anways I was up at the Helmet Shop trying on helmets today and I think the Scorpion EXO-400 in a large fit me best over all, really snug in the cheeks which I don't get in my HJC. Oddly the EXO-700 has a forehead pressure point. The RF-1000 also fit nicely but the XL was just a little to big around my face. I might be coming home soon with a new lid.

I just wish all makers would have multi-sized cheek and head liners for a better custom fit helmet.
Which web browser are you using, I know firefox for me (Don't seem to have the right plug-in) didn't work. IE did for me, it is also a quick time player embedded.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ummm, wait a second... I was expecting some great epiphany... are there really people who don't match the size of their heads to the listed size of helmets?

I mean that's definitely a great thing about Arai, you match the head circumference to the size of the shell, and then customize the cheek pads and inner pads etc. But not everyone can drop 500 bucks on a helmet. And that's a good reason why you should really try helmets before you buy online. The other cheaper (well, less expensive) non customizable manufacturers have different fits from each other, it's why you may hate Sharks (long thin in the face) and love HJC (for round faces like mine).

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Yeah... it has been shown somewhere around here before... but it is still good info... the link didn't work right for me this time though... but I remember seeing the Leno-Arai safety video/arai advertisement.. (edit: this link did work, it just took a long time for it to show anything where the video shows... they have a real slow server)

However it is amazing how many people aren't wearing the right size helmet...

Most that I see go by how it fits around the face and the back of the neck and don't really think about the top of the head... That is a concussion wating to happen if not worse... so it is not just circumference around the head, you have to consider how it fits over the top as well..

you can't resize the top of the head area but you can generally replace cheek pads sometimes the neck pads... in fact some helmets I've had that fit well initally ended up loosening up around the top of the head over time so either the padding was inferior around the skull (it was a Bell Helmet) or I didn't get it sized right to begin with....

But I have to admit... I'd love to have an Arai helmet... those things fit great and are super comfortable.... but I suppose they can afford to mix-n-match other interior padding to fit perfectly when they are priced that high.. it would be a great idea for all helmet manufacturers to do this... AGV charges a little for the interior padding so you can re-size as you need but you have to pay for the pads I believe ($20 or so for a spare set) perhaps some stores may let you swap with their display units but I's say that is probably rare.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts