Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are continuing threads about various methods to align the rear wheel after chain adjustment or tire replacement. I just found what seems to be the easiest and best tool to make sure the rear axle is square to the swingarm pivot. http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/tools.asp

Alignment tools are down in the middle of the page. There are several versions available. Basically they are an adjustable measure with large cones or arrow-heads on the ends to center themselves in the swingarm pivot and rear axle. Set it on one side, then check the other side and it'll fit the same on both sides if the wheel is adjusted right. This has to be easier than trying to use the marks on the swingarm or a tape measure.....which doesn't work well because the pipes are in the way. Thought others might be interested in these tools.:)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
That tool is been around for ages :). I have home made one for sv.
Problem with sv650 is that axle and pivot are offset on one side so tool needs different length pins to be accurate. Basically that arrow point needs to go in or out depending on which side of the bike you are. Even length pins don't work that good.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Problem with sv650 is that axle and pivot are offset on one side so tool needs different length pins to be accurate. Basically that arrow point needs to go in or out depending on which side of the bike you are. Even length pins don't work that good.
Wait.... so, tape measuring from the center of the pivot to the center of axle shouldn't yield the same distance for both sides?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I swear, there's a "tool" for everything.

I use measuring tape and have been doing so on every bike I've owned without issue. Some people act like having the axle out of alignment by a few thousandths is going to be in any way noticeable.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I swear, there's a "tool" for everything.

I use measuring tape and have been doing so on every bike I've owned without issue. Some people act like having the axle out of alignment by a few thousandths is going to be in any way noticeable.
I'm thinking the tools are most helpful for those running drag bikes that tend to carry the front end most of the way. For them...a slight alignment problem might get interesting.:)

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Here is a tool that is quick and accurate to use:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29248

The only problem with it is that it won't fit the SV's rear axle. I don't own their tool but have made one. Their rod looks to be about 3/8" OD. The SV rear axle steps down to about 0.349" ID on the left side so their rod won't fit. However, it is a simple matter to turn down one end to fit our axles. I suspect that if someone were inclined and had a minimum order then QM would probably alter the rod to fit our bikes. The end would need to be turned down to about 0.3125" OD X 10" and the cone adapter hole adjusted to suit.

Quality Machine Co. : http://qualitymachineco.com/

This tool is quick and easy to use and is very accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts