Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of mounting a camcorder to my sv with no windshield whatsoever. anyone have expirience with a camcorder malfunctioning due to wind.? im worried winds gonna blow thru the cracks and mess up the insides. ofcourse the answer would be to protect it somehow. but im asking with no protection will it hold up do you think?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think it will be fantastic. Ive never had any trouble with my point and shoot on there

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did. I mounded a Canon Powershot A630 to the front of my bike and the wind ended up messing with the lens cover. For a few days after the ride the lens wouldn't open when I turned on the camera unless I tapped it in the right spot. A few days later it returned to normal, though.

Initially I thought I just got a piece of dust or debris jammed in there but the same thing happened each time I took the camera out for a ride, so either I'm consistently unlucky in the same way, or the wind was messing with it.

Other than that, no...no problems.

If it's a film or hard-drive camcorder, or any where the memory portion of the camera uses moving parts, you'll need to keep a close eye on the vibrations.

·
Registered
908 Posts
there is a company that makes cameras specific for mounting on bikes. there may be others, but this one is new. don't remember the name of the company though... will post up here when i find out. has a weather proof case it goes in and it's really small. video quality is really good too

·
Registered
45 Posts
figured it out pretty quickly. there's a wide angle version too.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=5

That's great... if you want to look like an idiot. They gotta have tiny helmet cams by now. I'm thinking the best results would be with a good quality helmet cam so you can see whatever the rider sees (and it's up higher for better visibility) but im not sure if there's a cheap way to do it that's good enough quality. I havent really dug into helmet cams yet but I want one bad.

·
Registered
908 Posts
That's great... if you want to look like an idiot. They gotta have tiny helmet cams by now. I'm thinking the best results would be with a good quality helmet cam so you can see whatever the rider sees (and it's up higher for better visibility) but im not sure if there's a cheap way to do it that's good enough quality. I havent really dug into helmet cams yet but I want one bad.
actually... you use the sticky things and mount it to your bike... that or there is a mount for your bars too, or your tank, or, or, or...

·
Registered
112 Posts
The tank mounts work pretty well, but just make sure you put a filter on the lens to protect it from debris.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A few companies (Creative, Kodak, Flip, etc) are making small pocketcams now. They're cheap, good image quality, and most importantly, really really small. I'm using a Vado HD as my high definition in-helmet camcorder, all I do it slip it inside my helmet.

Here's what I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ev6rG7JSY
And here's a test vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvbF19R0Qc

The best thing about this setup is it makes a good standalone camcorder, too, so it's not like you're spending that money on a motorcycle-only gadget. I'm planning on taking mine on a trip later this month. I'll use it as I would a normal camcorder, to record what I do, but if I come across some interesting roads I'll just slip it in my helmet and go :)

S

·
0 Posts
Buy a cheap camera pouch, slice a hole in it for the lens to see though. Then punch a hole for the camera mount bolt. That way, the camera will be protected from the elements and the on-coming wind.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Why would you look like an idiot with a gopro camera? Me and my brother just bought the Motorsport wide angle one, and it works extremely well. You will be hard pressed to find something that shoots better quality for the money with all the stuff that comes with the kit for $200. The size of the gopro camera is smaller than a credit card and about as thick as a pack of gum. It's tiny!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for your thoughts guys. encountered something else troubling when i filmed my ride today. and it wasnt wind. ha, wish it was.. pretty new camcoder, not HD and the **** ting kept cutting off on me at speeds over 60mph, like it couldnt keep up with the frame rate? message saying "buffer overlay" would appear. odd. was able to get some great footage but only in intervals.

JPonion, nice vid dude thanks, watched the test vid. inside helmet cam. not bad at all..

·
Registered
908 Posts
thanks for your thoughts guys. encountered something else troubling when i filmed my ride today. and it wasnt wind. ha, wish it was.. pretty new camcoder, not HD and the **** ting kept cutting off on me at speeds over 60mph, like it couldnt keep up with the frame rate? message saying "buffer overlay" would appear. odd. was able to get some great footage but only in intervals.

JPonion, nice vid dude thanks, watched the test vid. inside helmet cam. not bad at all..
it definitely had nothing to do with the frame rate... your speed on your bike has nothing to do with the way your camera records.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Check the battery connections, I was having a similar situation when I was using my Canon on the bike. At low speeds everything would be fine, but at higher speeds and bumpier roads the vibrations would get to the camera and, I believe, cause the batteries to repeatedly break connection. Afterall, they were built to handle vibrations from being held which is nothing compared to what it'll get on a bike.

After about 5-10 minutes at speed the batteries would drop from fully charged to dead, or at least the camera thought so. If I didn't stop the bike for a few minutes to let the camera realize the battery really does have full charge, then the camera would shut off and usually delete or corrupt the video I had already recorded.

Might also want to check the memory card is fully seated and not able to wiggle loose at high vibrations. I "fixed" this issue on mine by putting small pieces of foam inside the battery compartment, putting pressure on the battery so it wont move around.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
encountered something else troubling when i filmed my ride today. and it wasnt wind. ha, wish it was.. pretty new camcoder, not HD and the **** ting kept cutting off on me at speeds over 60mph, like it couldnt keep up with the frame rate? message saying "buffer overlay" would appear. odd. was able to get some great footage but only in intervals.
Does your camcorder record to a dvd or hard drive? I'm guessing the vibrations are causing the head to park. The buffer can't fill since the drive is disabled, so the buffer is filled.

It doesn't explain that message, but low light may also cause low frame rates, depending on how your camera handles low light.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yah its a hard drive. tried again today. this time put some felt then some pretty serious tape to cover the felt up over the microphone. i bought a sony camcorder off ebay and didnt realixe you cant turn the audio off. ? wtf.. only low and high. thus why the felt and tape covering. was hoping.. but the "buffer overlay" came back on when again i reached 60mph. leafte, goodpoint, im thinking vibrations now. i guess back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
908 Posts
you need to record to something that has a solid state drive. an sd card or something like that. if nothing is moving, it makes for less chance of something bad happening with capturing. i'm telling you... that gopro camera is the ****. just get one and be done with it. you'll never complain again. well... i guess i'm one to talk. i always find something to complain about, but as far as your issues and concerns go it will be problem solved...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts