It is elevated on some jack stands.
Let me know what you think.
I have everything properly torqued.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
That's pretty loose.

It should take about 1 lb of force to get the bar to move. That's straight from 7-40 of the service manual.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In this case... What do I do now?
What's the most efficient way to fix it?

- Do I have to take everything apart?
I had a hard time getting the steering stem nuts to a certain feel because when tightening the upper nut, the bottom one tightens up a bit.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You don't have to take everything apart. Are you following the procedure outlined in the service manual? Do you still need the correct socket? I have an extra I made a couple years ago. You can have it for shipping. It's pretty ugly but it works.

With the socket and the service manual it should be a drama free process that takes less than a minute.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Edit - just noticed in video you have GSXR forks - same answer below applies - similar slot and tab washer on the GSXR stem

... when tightening the upper nut, the bottom one tightens up a bit.
There is another thread on this re GSXR forks

The bottom nut will not move if the correct parts are installed - the washer (item 11) is locked to the stem by a tab and therefor cannot turn, if the washer cannot turn neither can the bottom nut.

Here's a pic that shows the slot in the stem for the tab in the washer

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a second video with commentary.
I feel like in comparison to the video that Ricracer put up, mine is pretty damn close.
Btw, thank you for that video.
And thanks for everyone's responses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
grab the forks at the bottom and push'n'pull if there is no play 'click' then all is fine. to much pressure can cause the bearings to dimple the race or elongate the actual bearing and will cause premature wear as will to loose. don't get to hung up about perfection.

looking at the second clip then i would say they are perfecto. just feel that there is no notching when turning from side to side and if there is then its new bearings and races time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts