Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just wondering because it looks okay to me, and I can't imagine it's been around for 21k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They last a pretty long time especially if you're not in desert dusty areas...
I'll take that as a yes. Well if it is the original part I am very impressed. It actually is quite dusty here. I'm guessing the PO replaced it with an OEM filter.

On a side note is there supposed to be a gasket on the cover? It looks like it should have one but mine doesn't. Either way, the inside was absolutely spotless. I was worried there would be oil everywhere or who knows, but yeah... spotless.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Actually, there is a gasket attached to the airbox, but not on the cover, it's located on the bottom half of the airbox.

If you install a K&N filter, you need to remove this gasket. The problem happens when somebody had a K&N, and somebody else goes back to factory but they don't have the gasket anymore, and they don't realize it's missing.

It's very thin, make sure it's still there.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's not. I saw the groove on both pieces and figured there might have been a gasket at one time.

Well I guess I won't worry too much about it since it appears everything is functioning fine without it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Actually, there is a gasket attached to the airbox, but not on the cover, it's located on the bottom half of the airbox.

If you install a K&N filter, you need to remove this gasket. The problem happens when somebody had a K&N, and somebody else goes back to factory but they don't have the gasket anymore, and they don't realize it's missing.

It's very thin, make sure it's still there.
Correct you are.... I had totally forgotten about that...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Yeah it's not. I saw the groove on both pieces and figured there might have been a gasket at one time.

Well I guess I won't worry too much about it since it appears everything is functioning fine without it.
Its really hard to see sometimes, some people can't tell it's there, you may actually have it?

If you confirm you don't have one, I would still purchase one, contact your local Suzuki shop parts department.

Or, when it's time to get another filter, buy a K&N. I have had one for 20,000 miles, and all the oil analysis show the air filter is working great.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder if the PO had a k&n. I know my bike had been through a lot before I got it.

I'll probably just get a k&n and desnorkel and raise the tank.

Does your cover have writing on it? Mine has yellow marker writing like you see from junkyard parts.

Oh and I already have a few filter cleaning kits because of the cai on my svt lightning and stang. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts