Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Purchased a set of Pirelli Angel tires to replace my Pirelli Strada's from Revzilla.com. I am going to be replacing them myself, and after unpacking them I noticed that the back tire was made this past December, but the front tire was manufactured a little over 2 years ago...

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the replacement age of tires, mainly ranging from 5-7 years. I just want to make sure the front is going to be safe.

I know there are many threads on tire age, but none I saw on brand new ones. Is this kind of age for a brand new tire acceptable? What do you guys think??

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
How fast do you think you'll wear it out? If you ride just a couple thousand miles per year, then I would want a new one. On the other hand, if you're probably going to burn it off in 2-3 years, then I'd say it's good to go.

Bruced!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other question:

I noticed that there is a barcode sticker on the bead on the back tire. It doesn't seem to want to come off, almost like it is imbedded into the bead rubber. Does anyone know if that is suposed to be removed on Pirelli tires??

Thanks guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
One other question:

I noticed that there is a barcode sticker on the bead on the back tire. It doesn't seem to want to come off, almost like it is imbedded into the bead rubber. Does anyone know if that is suposed to be removed on Pirelli tires??

Thanks guys!!!!
Abrade it off using a flat surface made of concrete or pebbles in a petroleum based polymer.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you paid full price for it, I would atleast let them know. If you got it at a discounted price, than 3 years would be my max.

I bought a rear tire from STG a few years back and they sent me a 3yr old tire Pilot Power. I called and asked to exchange it and they refused, even if I paid shipping. Thats the last time I ordered anything from there, and thats mainly because I paid full price for it.

Motorcycle Superstore has always given me tires newer than 1 year, most times less than 6 months old. Thats my one stop shop for tires. I've even asked if they'll exchange if I get an old tire and they said their threshold for an exchange is 1 year. Still have to pay shipping back but who knows how that tire was stored.

3 years is my max. I've bought take-offs less than 1 year old and ran them on my street bike

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wouldn't give that tire a second thought and would run it to the cords.

This tire was used for a single, 20-minute practice session and then stored in a closet fror years until I got it in a trade. It was mounted on my wife's R1 and she wore it out in a couple of months. When we removed it from the bike, it was 11 years old from its manufacture date. The tire never did anything that was unpredictable and never slid on her.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys!!! I think the consensus is that I should not worry about it at this point. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wasting my money, and safety. That puts my mind at ease.

Also, sounds like I don't have to remove the barcode tag on the rim bead. Thanks for the info!

Desmo: That is a great pic, and back story, of the tire.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Desmo: That is a great pic, and back story, of the tire.
I was actually going to throw the tire away because it seemed awefully old to me, plus, I only had $5 in it. My wife insisted she at least try it out. We put it on the bike, and she took it easy for a while to see what the tire would do. She loved the Michelin Pilot Power Race tires, and this was the earlier tread design, so she at least wanted to try it out.

I believe the whole trick with this tire was how it was stored. It was out of direct sunlight, not near an ozone producing object (electric motor), and was in a climate-controlled environment for about 8 years before we got it. I was surprised the guy had it in his family room closet with four other tires for that amount of time. In total, we burned through five 9-11 year old tires that were traded to us for a set of triple clamps.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you paid full price for it, I would atleast let them know. If you got it at a discounted price, than 3 years would be my max.

I bought a rear tire from STG a few years back and they sent me a 3yr old tire Pilot Power. I called and asked to exchange it and they refused, even if I paid shipping. Thats the last time I ordered anything from there, and thats mainly because I paid full price for it.

Motorcycle Superstore has always given me tires newer than 1 year, most times less than 6 months old. Thats my one stop shop for tires. I've even asked if they'll exchange if I get an old tire and they said their threshold for an exchange is 1 year. Still have to pay shipping back but who knows how that tire was stored.

3 years is my max. I've bought take-offs less than 1 year old and ran them on my street bike
way too picky! 3yr old tires are perfectly fine, especially in a 160 which has a smaller buying base than say a 180/190. I rode a '05 Power Race soft rear last year for several trackdays at a fast intermediate pace and never had a single issue.

I also have never had any issue with STG, they are the fastest tire shippers I have seen, from probably 5 sources including ebay and other online stores, and their customer service is very good. They didn't exchange your tire because it is a good tire!

like Oreo said as long as they weren't sitting out in the hot humid air you are good for several years.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
drastic heat fluctuations and UV rays are what really kills em. But if they're in a climate controlled warehouse they're practically good for a frikkin decade.
Never mind street riding, I'd have no problem competing on a 2-3 year old tire provided it was stored properly and it was the latest version of the tire I was running at the time. (granted, I'd want to test it out in practice just to set my mind at ease, but I'd be willing to bet it would be just fine)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts