Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When doing fender elimination mode I noticed lot of riders just get rid of plate light. I am little concern about getting a ticket for having a dark plate at night. Any thoughts? I live in Mass.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Pretty sure thats illegal everywheres. It seems like a rare ticket though. Or if you do get one, its cause they pulled you over for something else, and they tack on that ticket at the same time. Total coolness. Its not hard to put a plate light on though, might as well for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Some fender eliminators come with a light:

the targa (the one I have) has a small LED plate light. It's probably enough that I'll pass inspection, but it is definately not enough to properly illuminate the plate at night. I havent been pulled over about it yet, though. Come to think of it, I dont have a plate light on my pickup either, and I've never gotten ticketed for that (had it like that for nearly 7 years!)

If memory serves, the hemicad one has a plate light.

Of course, the OEM one uses the OEM plate light.

Or, you could use something like this:
http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Lite_N_Boltz_domed_head_license_plate_light_-_Satin_Finish_(pair).htm

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have my plate very close to the tail light, mostly for clearance of the rear tire. However, the tail light illuminuates the plate very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I probably will drill a hole on fender eliminator and install the stocklight in such a way that it is not noticable but still does the job.I have bad luck with cops.Got ticketed for going 40 on 35 zone in Belmont MA etc. and rather play safe.Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
i've got these on my bike,they seem to work well.but my fender elimnator consisted of my taking a saw to the snow shovel.. :wink:

i got them for 25 bucks off ebay...they're pretty simple to install and look pretty decent as well.

ps.
where abouts in mas do you live?I got to pittsfield quite a bit..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
randomSV650 said:
i've got these on my bike,they seem to work well.but my fender elimnator consisted of my taking a saw to the snow shovel.. :wink:

i got them for 25 bucks off ebay...they're pretty simple to install and look pretty decent as well.

ps.
where abouts in mas do you live?I got to pittsfield quite a bit..
I live in Medford.I bought some galvanized sheet metal and will start shaping soon.I like your rear end except the ugly stock lights.They are way too big.
Check this out!Mini signals dirt cheap
http://www.americansportbike.com/shop/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F1360914&rnd=806478&rrc=N&affl=&cip=68.163.236.237&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=16023&cat=&catstr=

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Radio Shack sells LEDs and a LED holder that is threaded and has a bolt. I just drilled a tiny hole in the undertray in the 1/4 inch of space I left between the plate and the painted plastic around the tail light. You'll need a 1k ohm resistor wired in series if you choose this route. All in all it took me about 4 hours longer than it sould have and I blew out 3 LEDs and a couple fuses before getting it right, but now its pretty neat.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
sorry, random double post deleted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts