Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to start up my 99 SV today and had a flame shoot out of the carb when I opened the throttle. The tank is off and being cleaned at the moment, so I've been feeding it fuel through a bottle directly through the line to the carbs(since there is no fuel pump on it at the moment). Before, it would start up fine like this. This time there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm pretty sure this is the result of some rain water getting in the airbox when the cover blew off the bike. Since there is smoke coming out, im guessing the cylinder is going through the combustion cycle but for some reason it's not starting. So my question is, is the flame shooting out the carb bad? I was thinking it may be a badly seated valve (they looked dirty too). Also, I still haven't gotten it to start through all this. Any tips? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Have you checked inside the airbox for water? Best to dry it out if there is any moisture. Should probably pull the plugs and clean/replace them too. The flame out of the carb can happen when it gets flooded and the excess fuel ignites then backfires on overlap. I lost my eyebrows that way trying to look in a 327 Chevy Quadrajet that wasn't starting.:)

Once the plugs get fouled they aren't likely to un-foul themselves. Make sure the battery is fully charged as they can crank slowly for a long time but the voltage is down so far the ignition doesn't make a good spark. Very likely to foul the plugs like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thanks. Yeah there was a lot of excess fuel in the carbs. I was just worried this might be a timing issue. Hopefully I wont have to pull the valve covers...I'll try switching the spark plugs. Is there a specific way to dry out the cylinders?. I've taken off the airbox and carbs.
Have you checked inside the airbox for water? Best to dry it out if there is any moisture. Should probably pull the plugs and clean/replace them too. The flame out of the carb can happen when it gets flooded and the excess fuel ignites then backfires on overlap. I lost my eyebrows that way trying to look in a 327 Chevy Quadrajet that wasn't starting.:)

Once the plugs get fouled they aren't likely to un-foul themselves. Make sure the battery is fully charged as they can crank slowly for a long time but the voltage is down so far the ignition doesn't make a good spark. Very likely to foul the plugs like this.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You can pull the plugs and crank the motor to expel excess fuel from the cylinders. Just keep the plugs and wires away from the holes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts