Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trax motorsports (http://traxms.com/index.html) has a little warehouse/shipment center here in my home town. They quoted me a price of $309 shipped AND mounted (they mount them at their shop) for a set of Michelin Pilot Roads - 160/60 17 rear, 120/60 17 front. Does this sound like a decent price?

Internet prices look a little cheaper...I'm just assuming that a local shop is going to rape me on mounting charges if I bring them a tire I bought somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
gahdzilla-- Don't quote me on this, but IIRC, a set of Pilot Roads from say swmototires.com run around $245, no shipping for the pair. Anywhere from $15-50/tire for mounting ($30 average) puts you right around $300.

IMO, if you like the shop, trust their mechanic, want to throw a little money towards the local moto shop, yeah, it's a fair deal....

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swmototires charges 220.90 for the set.  I just checked.

the shop I went to is not exactly a trusted shop, it's a little warehouse with three people manning phone lines...they are mainly an online/phone order shop.  the only thing in stock on display was a small shelf of 8 or so helmets.  it is the first time I've been there, so I don't know whether to trust them or not.  nothing seemed suspicious at first, though...just a little online mail order place that also mounts tires for locals. 

he said that that set of tires retails for "around 325" and he would let me have them for 289, free shipping, plus 20 to mount the set (10 each). 

something seems fishy, though...their website lists this set at 250.77 with free shipping  ???

and these websites, although they give slightly different numbers, say that the retail price of the set is about 289
http://www.kgmotorcycletires.com/michelin_pilot_road.htm
http://www.sporttour.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road.htm

what gives?!?  I'm thinking he's just B.S.'ing me about giving me a good deal, and is selling them for full retail.  That really ticks me off.  I probably would have bought them from him for full retail if he hadn't lied about giving me a good price.

Anyone else got any input?  a definitive retail value for these tires would be helpful (michelin does not list prices on their website).  if he's lying, I'm definitely going to call him on it and tell him he lost a customer.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
As stated already, swmototires.com can get them to your for $220 shipped. Cycle Gear mounts for $30/tire if you buy them somewhere else ($220+$60=$280 but would probably come out just under $300 after fees). If you buy the tires from Cycle Gear, it's $15/tire to mount.
Based on principle, I wouldn't buy from that guy either. I like to throw my money at Cycle Gear...kinda ;D Moreso than a dealer anyway

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I stand corrected on the price from swmoto; they're better than I remember. ;D

If I get the feeling someone's putting one over on me, they don't get a dime from me. Period.

My best advice, that which I have followed myself, is to buy the tires online from swmoto and hunt around for a shop I feel I can trust that offers a fair deal on mounting. HTH

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Check with local motorcycle forums.

We have nestreetriders here and there are a couple of members that bought tire mounting machines and charge 15 to 20 bucks per tire. If you can just bring the rims and old tires in, you can save a bit more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts