Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called the local dealer and got a quote for Roadsmarts mounted and balanced, I bring the rims in.

Tires $311
Mount and balance $116

Total: $427

I know that this is a royal hose-job. Don't these guys understand they are driving off business when they come up with these exorbitant prices? I guess they can make a living off of idiots who walk in the door and bend over, because they have been in business for a long time and do a ton of business.

I know there are good deals to be had online, just wanted to throw this out for discussion.

I could drive to Portland, OR to get the tires etc, any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I just called the local dealer and got a quote for Roadsmarts mounted and balanced, I bring the rims in.

Tires $311
Mount and balance $116

Total: $427

I know that this is a royal hose-job. Don't these guys understand they are driving off business when they come up with these exorbitant prices? I guess they can make a living off of idiots who walk in the door and bend over, because they have been in business for a long time and do a ton of business.

I know there are good deals to be had online, just wanted to throw this out for discussion.

I could drive to Portland, OR to get the tires etc, any recommendations?
Order online...mount them yourself.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
the tire price aint too bad, but that mounting price is a racket.

That's charging 1.5 hours for a mount and balance OFF BIKE and that is ridiculous.

For a dealer, I'd say $350 installed is fair.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The cost of the tires seem in range, but the mount and balance for $116 with rims off the bike now thats a rip.

On another note one of my coworkers brought his SV in to change out his rear tire. He bought a used one off CL. When he brought it in they somehow convinced him not to use the used rear tire and buy a new set of Pilot Powers. Imagine going in to replace a rear tire for just install fees and comming out with a $375 bill. So yes people do just walk in the door and get bent over. Mount and balance for the tires was only $75 rims on the bike (included in the price).

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the dealer back and asked if they understood that I was asking for a price for me bringing the rims in. They didn't catch that part.

The new deal (after they listened to what I was asking for) is:

Tires: $311

Mount and balance: FREE (if I buy the tires there)

That's much better. What we had was an EXPENSIVE failure to communicate.... :eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I won't let dealers touch my wheels I mount everything Myself and balance on a static balancer. It may be a little more work on my end but I am OK with it. If you can do it that way you will save yourself some $$$

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I won't let dealers touch my wheels I mount everything Myself and balance on a static balancer. It may be a little more work on my end but I am OK with it. If you can do it that way you will save yourself some $$$
What procedure do you use? Do you have a tire machine or do you do it free hand with tire irons? I've done them on dirt bikes but not on road bikes (yet).

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
A 12 pack of diet Dr. Pepper? ;D
Sure but i'm thinking the shipping costs would run you more than the dealership is charging. I don't give a shyt about "recouping" my costs for my tools. I bought them for my own benefit and education. If by helping someone they can add some stock to my bar fridge...i'm a-ok with that.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure but i'm thinking the shipping costs would run you more than the dealership is charging. I don't give a shyt about "recouping" my costs for my tools. I bought them for my own benefit and education. If by helping someone they can add some stock to my bar fridge...i'm a-ok with that.
If you're not out here in the PNW, it just wouldn't work out. But, even if you were nearby, I wouldn't stick you with diet Dr. Pepper, maybe Sam Adams, but not diet DP. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts