Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 650s with about 5200 mi. I've noticed that when I really open up the throttle, power will get to the rear wheel up to a certain point. Then I'll notice that the revs will shoot up very quickly and the bike will stop accelerating (almost as if I've pulled the clutch in) until I back off of the throttle a bit. I've been trying to figure out what is causing this, or if this is a normal phenomenon with the 650. I am guessing that it has something to do with the clutch.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This gets really annoying when I need to pass cars/trucks safely and quickly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figured. The bikes I've had before never did this. I checked out the clutch mantra, but wasn't sure if all of this will solve the problem. Bummer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
just try adjusting the screw nut cog thing right next to your clutch lever, it may help. i had the problem before on my old 900rr and a few turns made it perfect. if not that then check your cable itself.

204 Posts
Your clutch is slipping. It either needs massive adjustment, or somehow, after just 5000 miles, needs replacement.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Your clutch is slipping. It either needs massive adjustment, or somehow, after just 5000 miles, needs replacement.
Any idea on the previous owner(s)? Might want to ask if they had trouble with it or if they have any service history...

Could easily just be out of adjustment, make sure the lever isn't resting in a half on/half off area... could be burning up the clutch all the time :/

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments SVR's. I'm going to give some of the suggested minor adjustments a shot (ones from the clutch mantra as well). Like I said, I only notice this when I really pin the throttle, which isn't too often.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I definitely need to do the routine clutch cable adjustment. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I am probably dealing with a worn out clutch.

I have another question - Does 10-15 mm of free cable play mean that I should be pulling the lever in 10-15 mm before the clutch is barely engaged, or fully engaged?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
free play means how far you can pull the lever b/4 the clutch actually begins to dis-engage. (the 10-15 mm spec is measured at the end of the lever.) in other words, with the clutch fully engaged, you should have some play in the lever to ensure the clutch is not slipping. in a car, with foot pedals, that would be like "riding" the clutch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
free play means how far you can pull the lever b/4 the clutch actually begins to dis-engage. (the 10-15 mm spec is measured at the end of the lever.) in other words, with the clutch fully engaged, you should have some play in the lever to ensure the clutch is not slipping. in a car, with foot pedals, that would be like "riding" the clutch.
Got it, thanks. It made more sense when I got into adjusting things.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Only way your clutch is shot is if somone beat the snot out of that bike. I have 05 650s and it has almost 15k miles clutch feels like the day I bought it. If clutch is engaged an disengaging under heavy load. This usually points to like a bent shift fork or some other mechanical transmission failure. For sure do basic adjustments ect. But I'm not real confident that its gona fix it

·
Registered
300 Posts
Found this bit of info that supports my theory " Generally bent shift forks create the symptoms of a bike jumping outof gear under heavy acceleration. That is because the bend does not allow the gear to fully engage its counterpart. Shift forks usually get bent from the gear not being fully engaged as the power is applied to it and it is kicked back away from its mating gear. Because of the power being transmitted through the gears, as it kicks away, it rounds the edges of thedogs which causes the problem to become worse andworse each time it jumps outof gear."

Explains it better than I ever could

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found this bit of info that supports my theory " Generally bent shift forks create the symptoms of a bike jumping outof gear under heavy acceleration. That is because the bend does not allow the gear to fully engage its counterpart. Shift forks usually get bent from the gear not being fully engaged as the power is applied to it and it is kicked back away from its mating gear. Because of the power being transmitted through the gears, as it kicks away, it rounds the edges of thedogs which causes the problem to become worse andworse each time it jumps outof gear."

Explains it better than I ever could
That sounds bad. Fortunately, this doesn't describe what I'm experiencing. The bike has never jumped out of gear. I am hoping that minor adjustments will remedy the issue of "slipping" at high revs when the throttle is opened quickly. I have been pretty easy on the bike - previous owner had it for only 1800 mi, but I suppose he could have done plenty of damage to the clutch with burnouts etc.

I went through and performed the routine clutch cable adjustments (had not yet been done) and this seemed to help. I'm still having the same problem, but not as severe. I am going to tinker a little bit more with the adjuster screw setting to see if I can't fully alleviate the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts