Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I'm relatively new to my SV650S (07), had it basically for a whole season, but I've noticed since I have been riding it that while the stock setup is fine just cruising around the city, whenever I get into some corners the bike feels a little vague and not really as good as I know it is.

Now I immediately identified this as an incorrect suspension setup for my weight (~300lbs). I was just extremely excited to get on my bike right away :) Yes, I know I am a big guy but I also have shorter legs so the SV650 fits me great with a gel seat.

Anyways, so I turned the front preloads all the way in and cranked the rear all the way to the top stops, and while this helped a bit, it obviously is just lacking in the suspension category for a man of my... ahem.. caliber.

So, I am looking to upgrade for the coming season as I would like to get into the twisties a little more without killing myself. Now I know I need to replace my front springs and get some heavier fork oil, and I have calculated my spring needs to be around 1kg/mm according to sonic springs.

Now the x factor is the rear shock assembly. What would the best setup be for a man of my size? I have heard people talk about using a shock from a zx-14 or a GSX-R and upgrading the spring to a higher spring rate (because apparently all the stock springs aren't built for guys my size?) but I don't know what spring rate I'd be looking at or where I would go to find such a spring. I've had the typical "get a penske" response from some people I know but I simply can't afford a $800 shock that I'd probably have to spend more on a spring for anyways.

What do you guys think would be the best setup for a rear shock for me?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
'04-'05 ZX-10R (10 kg/mm spring rate)

-or-

'03-'06 ZX-6R 636 (9.7 kg/mm spring rate)

Both normally sell for $50-$100 and require cutting the battery box, but with some patience and a Dremel or soldering iron it isn't hard.

I'm ~265lbs and have an '04 ZX-6R shock and love it (paid $80, but it was it perfect condition). If you can afford $120, I would highly recommend 1.0 kg/mm Sonic Springs and 20w oil for the forks. This made more of a difference than the shock!

Note: be sure to get the lower mounting bolt and nut for whatever rear shock you get! If you don't, get 'em from the dealership.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a shock from a 2007 GSX-R1000 with 300 miles on it. I'm also around 300 pounds and had my local shop install a heavier spring on it to accomidate my weight (can't remember the exact spring weight). I never put it on my bike because I ended up buying a different bike. If you're interested, I'll sell it for $100 + shipping.

Like most of the shocks from other bikes, this one isn't a direct bolt on. You'll have to modify the battery box. There are plenty of threads on here discussing the installation though.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I'm 235 (240 today lol)

Cheap: zx14 (bolts right in but not perfect for your weight). It'll probably hold you over but really it's not the greatest solution (as the shock nazis will chime in with...). $60 shipped on ebay.

Expensive (but ideal): Penske or Fox or Whomever + spring rated for your weight. It would be perfect and expensive. $400+ from what I've seen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a shock from a 2007 GSX-R1000 with 300 miles on it. I'm also around 300 pounds and had my local shop install a heavier spring on it to accomidate my weight (can't remember the exact spring weight). I never put it on my bike because I ended up buying a different bike. If you're interested, I'll sell it for $100 + shipping.

Like most of the shocks from other bikes, this one isn't a direct bolt on. You'll have to modify the battery box. There are plenty of threads on here discussing the installation though.
I very well may be interested, a setup "prebuilt" for me rather than having to source the correct spring elsewhere would be awesome.

And the R1000 shock has enough damping to compensate for the heavy spring rate?

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I'm 235 (240 today lol)

Cheap: zx14 (bolts right in but not perfect for your weight). It'll probably hold you over but really it's not the greatest solution (as the shock nazis will chime in with...). $60 shipped on ebay.

Expensive (but ideal): Penske or Fox or Whomever + spring rated for your weight. It would be perfect and expensive. $400+ from what I've seen.
If I could get one for $400, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could do $400 if it was perfectly setup for me. But I've looked around for Penske, Fox, etc and they all seem to be in the $700+ range which I just can't swing.

I've read some threads and there's been some contention about replacing the OEM setup on the SV with an OEM setup from another bike... Something about overall shock length and messing up handling, etc. I wouldn't want to do this as I know exactly what messing with suspension geometry in a car ends up doing (fun to watch slammed VWs bounce all over the road).

So is there a setup that doesn't mess with the OEM geometry or am I stuck with replacing with a ohlins, penske, fox, etc shock that's specifically built for the SV in my case? And then going out and sourcing a new spring for my weight for even more $?

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I have an '06 GSX-R1000 shock on my bike with 1/2" raising links. It's fine. The change will affect it less than 1% overall. C'mon, if you're 300 lbs, 1% only 3lbs. I don't know about you, but a 3lb crap is routine for me. It's a cheap fix until you can save for the best solution.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I've had the typical "get a penske" response from some people I know but I simply can't afford a $800 shock that I'd probably have to spend more on a spring for anyways.
Can you afford something more like $500? Because there are less fancy and less pricey options that will still get you a shock that's custom valved and sprung for your weight and riding style.

What do you guys think would be the best setup for a rear shock for me?
Whatever it is, for a guy your size you should really be getting a shock that's custom sprung and valved, and you should be switching to new fork internals (emulators at least) along with the springs, not just putting heavier fork oil in the stock damping rod forks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you afford something more like $500? Because there are less fancy and less pricey options that will still get you a shock that's custom valved and sprung for your weight and riding style.

Whatever it is, for a guy your size you should really be getting a shock that's custom sprung and valved, and you should be switching to new fork internals (emulators at least) along with the springs, not just putting heavier fork oil in the stock damping rod forks.
What are those less fancy options? I'm new to this game so I don't know where to look/what to look for? I definitely don't need fancy, I'm not planning on dragging knee or racing any time soon, I just need something that's adequate for me more for safety reasons when riding than anything.

I'd like to do emulators but I'm not really comfortable DIYing the front end stuff.... Would having a shop install emulators be significantly more than just having the springs replaced and heavier fork oil put in?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just pick up a zx-14 or busa shock you will be fine. Do some reading on how to take the front end apart and put in some heavier oil.

Check out blueproof, I used this to do my fork oil. I didn't know what I was doing, but following this was all I needed, wasn't hard at all.

Only hard part in working on my bike is finding out how to suspend the bike while I worked on it.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
What are those less fancy options? I'm new to this game so I don't know where to look/what to look for? I definitely don't need fancy, I'm not planning on dragging knee or racing any time soon, I just need something that's adequate for me more for safety reasons when riding than anything.
Have a look at this:

Cogent Dynamics offer the super high quality Cogent shock for the SV 650 that includes adjustable ride height for performace tuning of your bikes geometry as well as the adjustable spring pre-load and damping. All this for only $525.

Cogent Shock

I'd like to do emulators but I'm not really comfortable DIYing the front end stuff.... Would having a shop install emulators be significantly more than just having the springs replaced and heavier fork oil put in?
Good question - call 'em and ask. Or Rick at Cogent can do a complete fork service and emus for you. But there are lots of people who can install RT emulators, there should be someone local who can do it for you with less hassle.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Anyone have any pics of the Cogent Dynamics shock?
It basically just looks like a shock - here's one for a KLR - the SV and Bandit units look very similar:

I dug a bit further and found some pics of the Bandit shock:

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
i still have the correct spring for my weight that I purchased for a penske which I sold along with my 636 trackbike. I was wondering can i just swap that spring with the OEM SV650 spring to hold me over.
No. Don't try.

If the spring isn't matched to the damper, then the bike will pogo like crazy and give you a ride that's worse than incorrect but matched springing/damping. It's potentially dangerous because the back end can start bouncing around out of control.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts