Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had surgery on my left arm, they cut all my major tendons leaving me with a deformed hand and very little strength. i can barely stretch my index and middle fingers enough to reach the clutch lever making it impossible to pull in the clutch to shift gears.
My ring finger and pinky are still too curled to do anything but hold onto the grip and my thumb can barely move as well, so it can only help me grip the bars.
Is there any kind of hydraulic conversion kit i can get that will allow me an easy way to use the clutch so i can still ride and shift gears.
I was hoping to find some kind of push/pull button or very very easy action lever that wouldn't require hardly any movement to engage the clutch and allow me to switch gears with ease.
Please help me! I miss riding and I'm not expected to have better movement in my fingers for at least a year.

·
very big dumb
9,053 Posts
hydraulic wouldnt make it any better unfortunately.
my friend jackstand used an air shifter setup and his is for sale. let me see if i can get him in here

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put a stunt clutch/ EZ clutch on my 09 Gladius. EBAY under $20 and comes with an extra cable. Used it all summer, no issues and it only takes 1 finger with short lever to work.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Look into amputee-type solutions. There is a way to put the clutch on the right side. Also, it’s a good time to learn clutchless shifting (up and down). Very easy, slightly harder to do it right (not wearing the shifting mechanisms)

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I know a guy who rides without a right arm. Above the elbow amputee. He moved the throttle to the left side (rotates backwards, but he’s used to it now) and he has the front brake mounted there too. One lever above the other, I forget which is which.
That EMD or Recluse clutch sounds like the best solution, but if it’s cost prohibitive then just moving controls around is an option.
Another way to go is a big scooter. Back in 2002 I tore up my left hand very badly in a racing accident. Not as bad as what yours sounds like, but for a while I couldn’t pull a clutch lever at all. My wife had a Burgman 400 at the time, and I had a blast riding it. Eventually I got enough strength in the pinkie and ring finger stump to pull in the clutch (index and middle fingers are basically inop) and I got back on regular bikes, but if I had been relegated to scooters it wouldn’t have been the worst thing in the world.

Reactions: sv650bklyn
1 - 12 of 12 Posts