Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SV650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my SV cat deleted (Before O2 Sensor) and I'm wondering if there is a difference in terms of sound and performance if I bought the arrow header instead.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This video from Holeshot performance compares dyno runs of a stock bike against a bike with an end can and remap (but still with the cat in place), and then with a full Arrow header system and remap.

The Arrow headers gain about 3bhp and 3ft-lb of torque, but that is at wide-open throttle. I would like to see dyno pulls and comparisons at 50% throttle, as that's what most riders will use on the street most of the time.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
The big improvement comes with the fuel tuning, especially in the midrange. The factories map them so lean in the mid to pass emissions, that they're barely running. As a rule, you don't gain all that much on top end power, but can see 5-6hp in the mid range. Plus you get a much smoother, better running bike all across the board once you get the A/F at 13.5:1, no matter what exhaust you have.

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,239 Posts
There's notable weight loss. That's the big advantage to dropping cats/stock cans in my mind.
Performance? Like others said, sure, but $$ to get and you can't just chop stuff off and see hp gains. Not that you're saying that, but you get my point ;)
Sound is up to you, but I find that less exhaust sounds better just because cats/heatshields/anything eventually starts rattling and then you hear metal-on-metal instead of the engine. I run no cat and a slip-on with a small baffle. It's not too loud, but it's all engine.

·
Registered
2021 SV650
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big improvement comes with the fuel tuning, especially in the midrange. The factories map them so lean in the mid to pass emissions, that they're barely running. As a rule, you don't gain all that much on top end power, but can see 5-6hp in the mid range. Plus you get a much smoother, better running bike all across the board once you get the A/F at 13.5:1, no matter what exhaust you have.
Hmm is it ok to reflash ECU on the stock air filter? or should I replace it with a performance fiilter

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Hmm is it ok to reflash ECU on the stock air filter? or should I replace it with a performance fiilter
Intake system on most bikes makes very little to no difference in performance. K&N or OEM paper filter, doubtful you would see any change on a dyno. But, with that being said, a gauze filter won't hurt anything. Have a K&N in mine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Intake system on most bikes makes very little to no difference in performance. K&N or OEM paper filter, doubtful you would see any change on a dyno. But, with that being said, a gauze filter won't hurt anything. Have a K&N in mine.
So… Why do you have one in yours, if it makes no difference? 😉

The big thing about K&N is that, improperly oiled, it can allow dust and other particulates in, where a paper filter won’t. That implies larger holes, even with the oil, so there’s more airflow. Or the potential for it, if you tune with it in mind. But yeah, little difference. Though the effect is cumulative with other ‘power adders‘ as well. The more air you can flow, the more gas you can add, which equals moar powah! 😎

1 - 9 of 9 Posts