Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ride my bike about 15 minutes down the street, but it doesn't have a front exhaust pipe at the moment. I'm riding it to the place to get it fixed.

Is it going to hurt it if I do this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
i couldn't imagine it being much different than no exhaust on a car.

my car's exhaust is only hanging on by a metal coat hanger - in other words, no exhaust from the cat back. i get worse mpg and some fumes.

one day it will get fixed

·
Registered
744 Posts
Do you mean the front header isn't on the bike?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean the short piece of pipe that connects to the front cylinder is *on*, but *loose* because the f'ing bolts that hold it against the engine broke off. And now I get to bring it to the shop to have the bolts extracted.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooo... can I get a verdict on this? It's a 15 minute ride...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Fork over the money and have it towed.

15 minutes is a LONG phucking time for fresh O2 to be pulled in through the gap between the header and the head to the exhaust valves.

You just might burn them up, then spend hundreds more to replace them when $50 would tow your bike.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
+1 on what Brad said.

Running anything without an exhaust manifold or header will cause you to float a valve.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Surely you have a friend, neighbor, co-worker or family member that owns a truck or trailer?? You can even rent a pickup from U-Haul for like $20 bucks for the day.

·
Registered
667 Posts
+1 on what Brad said.

Running anything without an exhaust manifold or header will cause you to float a valve.
LOL, did you just make this up? Let me guess he is going to bend a valve because of the cold fresh air hitting his hot valve!!!!

O.P.

No, its not good for you motor, in fact its relativly bad, but dont listen to the guys telling you its going to bend a valve or "float" a valve. In all reality the chances of real damage occuring if you are very careful (low rpm, low idle, low load) are pretty minimal, however as others have stated if your asking the question than you are worried, and a buddy and a pick up truck are cheap insurance for your bike and your piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts