Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see scooter dudes puttin' along in the morning more often than not these days do to the gas prices. While I'm 'looking through my turns' I think aren't these dudes just as vulnerable as me? They just can't go too fast but someone can not see them just as they may not see me. ??? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I consider them more dangerous. The little ones don't have the power to get out of the way. People also tend to treat them like a bicycle so they wear no gear and they are very small so I think they are even harder to see.

On the plus side, most wrecks are at slow speeds. Of course it does not matter how slow the scooter is going if the car is doing 50.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd say no.  Is it risky?  yes.  But not as risky as riding a motorcycle.  Because you can go faster on a motorcycle, and you are in a more vulnerable riding position, your chances of having an accident due to rider error or misjudgement are greater.  Without pulling statistics, I'd be willing to bet that you don't see too many low-sides on a scooter.  You see them all the time on motorcycle.  Just my opinion.

Your avatar spooks me....by the way.  Nice.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
scooters are just as dangerous but since most of there riding is at low speeds, "bad" accidents are pretty rare. I'm big in the local scooter scene and like with bikes most go down but serious injury is rare.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Scooters are just as risky because it's not the rider, but the cages all around us that are most likely to kill us. However, I have two friends with scooters (Honda Metropolitan and Yamaha Vino). One of them wears a half helmet, the other wears nothing. I have to admit that I have ridden both without a helmet or gear, as helmets are not required in PA. Would I do this on a motorcycle? NEVER! I realize the risk involved, but since i was only riding around the block at 25mph I took those chances. :-[

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
karin said:
Scooters are just as risky because it's not the rider, but the cages all around us that are most likely to kill us. However, I have two friends with scooters (Honda Metropolitan and Yamaha Vino). One of them wears a half helmet, the other wears nothing. I have to admit that I have ridden both without a helmet or gear, as helmets are not required in PA. Would I do this on a motorcycle? NEVER! I realize the risk involved, but since i was only riding around the block at 25mph I took those chances.  :-[
Squid. ;D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Crashing at 25 or 35mph on a motorcycle or on a scooter is the exact same thing. Why do most scooter riders figure they don't have to wear any gear other than the typical half helmet?

Granted most scooters don't get on the freeway, so high speed crashes aren't so much an issue, BUT how many of you still wear full gear when just going around town?

If I had to choose I'd rather be on my motorcycle in full gear crashing at 35 mph than on a scooter with no gear crashing at the same speed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'll say YES if only for the observation that no special training/licensing is required to get a scooter. The majority of scooter riders that I see in Baltimore don't wear any gear and think nothing of lane splitting, or passing through intersections as if they all had yield signs.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's the rider that makes the activity risky, not necessarily the scooter itself.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think potentially more dangerous. Cagers see scooters as "toys" and try to pass them all the time. Thinking "oh I'll just get around this scooter before making that right hand turn". Their (scooters) smaller size makes it harder for soccer dad in his excursion to see. At least on a motorcycle you can ride fast enough to keep pace on main roads and tall enough to look into cars around you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would never try stupid stuff with my bike but every year me and my buddies go to Block Island RI and rent scooters and raise hell, those things are 10 times more dangerous cuz u don[t have repect for them, I must crash one every year, but thats why i get the extra insurance hehehehe :p

·
Registered
449 Posts
i took a ride on my friends Stella. That thing had some go in it and it was super nimble. I might get one. I'd say for the most part they attract riders that are less safety conscious, (i.e.- the type to park it and pull out a six pack from under the seat and socialize for awhile, then get back on it) A lot of it just flies under the radar due to the fact that there isnt that many scooters out there.

Scooters I think are a bit more skittish due to the smaller tires. You need to be more vigilant for things like potholes and things like that cause of the smaller wheels. Its a no brainer what can happen, but overall the safety aspects can be mitigated. Since they are step-thru your legs are somewhat more protected in case of a t-bone, but thats about it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i told my gf to get a 250 and ride with me, she said hella no I want a pink scooter :'( hahahahaha phunni stuff i tell ya, an sv riding along side a pink scooter ::)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Scooters? I think riding a bicycle is more dangerous than either a scooter or motorcycle. This argument of course excludes highways and going really fast in the city. If you are going to compare then Scooters and Bikes then highway isn't part of the equation and if you are riding fast within the city limits your asking for it.

I rode my bicycle to work for a week and I was terrified half the time. Cars and SUVs where sharing my lanes and I saw other people on their bicycles pulling stuff I would never even think of doing with my motorcycle. With a Motorcycle using the power to remove yourself from a situation became obviously useful considering the number of times I was peddling my little heart out.

I don't think people look at scooters as seriously as they should, there is enough power to get you in trouble.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Id would say that a scooter is more dangerous just for the fact that people will say "Its just a scooter" and discount the inherent risks. Dont forget there are some 650cc scooters out there that can go just as fast as a bike.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Well, I got my only road rash(lowside fall) off of a scooter.

Have yet to low side on a motorcycle...ironic isn't it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I lean more to the No side of scooters being more dangerous.

Granted- anyone on two wheels going 35 in traffic is fair game to getting the crap kicked out by grandma in her large 4-door and then having a lesson on friction- the effects of cement on bare skin.

Keep in mind that the majority of Motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents that are typically a result of driver error.  A scooter is slower, lighter, easier to control, easier to operate.  Alot of the user errors that contribute to motorcyle crashes are scaled down  or eliminated.  

But there's still the flip side of them being under powered and harder to see- but if you're using a small CC scooter for short jaunts around town or campus- I'll say the scooter is safer.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
karin said:
Scooters are just as risky because it's not the rider, but the cages all around us that are most likely to kill us. However, I have two friends with scooters (Honda Metropolitan and Yamaha Vino). One of them wears a half helmet, the other wears nothing. I have to admit that I have ridden both without a helmet or gear, as helmets are not required in PA. Would I do this on a motorcycle? NEVER! I realize the risk involved, but since i was only riding around the block at 25mph I took those chances.  :-[
Not true...

Statistically most motorcycle accidents are of the single vehicle type. You guys can go on about "SUV wearing soccer moms" and "old ladies in their oversisized Cadillac's" but the fact is that more motorcyclists take themselves down than other vehicles do. Yeah, when a cage is involved it's usually more serious, but we are our own worst enemy.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
At similar low speeds a scooter isn't as stable as a motorcycle. The small wheels can get trapped by road imperfections that would be a slight bump to a motorcycle. You don't have the cornering traction that you do on a motorcycle.

However, it's like the argument about guns. Scooters can be just as safe as motorcycles as long as they are ridden properly and within their limitations. In theory they should be less safe. Insert the human equation and I'm not sure. Not as much ego tripping on a scooter.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
My scooter has hurt me more than my SV has. The scooter has a huge temptation all over it just to wanna crash it. But then again, I was stuntin' it, with no gear on, so I was asking for it. But when it comes to traffic I'd say the scooter is still more dangerous than a motorcycle, simply cause a motorcycle can be better at staying with the flow.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
scooter are not slow by any means there are plenty of them out there that will do a ton and easily keep up highway speeds their just a motorcycle with tiny wheels and different ergonomics

1 - 20 of 28 Posts