Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I get blasted! let me explain:

I LOVE my SV as far as the handling goes. But I'm not too sure it is the same running SV as the rest of you guys are experiencing. I have a '00 SV and it has a bunch of miles on it. It's my first SV and I bought it bacause of all your guys great reviews on the bike. But it has so much back-pressure in the compression of the motor! I really can't rail low speed 90 degree turns very well because I can't figure out what gear to downshift to because my rear tire wants to break loose from the compression in the motor. Also, it only gets about 25 miles to the gallon. It's loud. I do have an after-market pipe on it, but still. It doesn't really seem very peppy, although I do not ride it very aggressively because when I let off it has so much compression! Am I nuts? Does this sound like the SV that you guys are riding?

I want to love this bike the way you guys love yours!

Thanks

Brian O'
Team Faith

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
25 mpg?  Something's seriously wrong.  My '99 SV got almost 60 mpg when it was stock.  Putting on an aftermarket exhaust and rejetting it did a bunch for power and throttle response, and I still get 42 mpg thrashing on back roads. 

Any idea why the previous owner sold it?  Did he do his own work?  My pulled-out-of-thin-air guess is that maybe he's of the "bigger is better" school of jetting, figuring that as long as he had to re-jet for the aftermarket pipe that he might as well go with some extra-powerful 192.5 mains or something.  But that's just a wild guess.

As far as engine braking goes, yeah, the SV's got it in spades.  The thing is, you'll grow to love it and use it to scrub off speed with the throttle instead of the brakes.  It just takes some getting used to.

HTH and welcome to the board.

Bill

·
Registered
41 Posts
teamfaith said:
Also, it only gets about 25 miles to the gallon. It's loud. I do have an after-market pipe on it
You should be getting in the mid 40's at least for MPG. Something is wrong there. What kind of pipe is it? D&D? They are OBNOXIOUSLY loud.

·
Registered
238 Posts
teamfaith said:
!  Am I nuts?  Does this sound like the SV that you guys are riding?

I want to love this bike the way you guys love yours!
Then shut yo ass and ride it. ;D no really, I think a twin is a totally different beast. That's all I've ever had so it feels normal for me. but I4 riding buddies think it's "weird" and old school. Just appreciate the difference. 8)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
did you buy ben's old bike? ;D

it sounds like it's running really rich, i get about 45MPG,

the flywheel is small so the bike wants to stop when the gas is let off, that is normal, it really has nothing to do with compression

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I always have a grin on my face as I hear that V-Twin motor spool up while weaving in and out of slower moving cars.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You've got to get back to basics

First pull the plugs and see what they look like. I would guess that you may not be firing on both cylinders, or if you are, not firing well. If the plugs are nasty change them.

Take a look at the air filter, make sure it's clean and in good shape.

Examine the boots that attach the carburetors to the engine. Make sure there are no holes or leaks.

Can you ask the previous owner what jets he put in? That could definitely be a problem.

As for making tight turns under power, welcome to the world of low speed torque. Feather the clutch and you will be fine making low speed turns.

·
Registered
212 Posts
buy a newer one!! just kidding...but i would just take it into a shop. Find someone else with an sv and let them ride it and u ride yours...maybe they can tell you something!! Good Luck ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer your question directly: no, it doesn't sound like an SV. The SV has been described as having a "happy puppy" demeanor, which really doesn't sound like what you have at the moment. I suggest you ask around a bit and find a local wrench you can trust -it sounds like it needs some real TLC!

Ride safe!

;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts