Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3000 miles since my last oil change and the oil level is halfway between Full and Empty. My previous oil change was maybe 3/4 full and the change before that it was near full. I wonder why I'm losing oil? Is this normal?

I've heard people say that motorcycles lose oil if engine braking a lot. I definitely engine brake more now than when I first started riding. I ride in traffic a lot and usually only use my brakes when coming to a complete stop. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's only one of two reasons why u would be losing oil, either burning internally(ie piston rings and the like) or leaking externally. But keep in mind that the initial fill up after an oil change is always a little higher,(in regards to looking @ the sight glass) than after you start the bike, and let the oil circulate through the filter and what not.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Are you checking it the same way each time. By this I mean, are you checking it the same amount of time after shutting off the bike? By the manual, you are supposed to run the bike a few minutes then shut it off and wait three minutes. If you wait shorter or longer than this you will get different levels.

Some bikes do burn a bit of oil, the amount varies. My old KZ used to burn a tiny bit, but my Gladius doesn't seem to use any at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I check it in the morning when it's cold. I'm going to experiment and try engine braking a little less.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
It's been 3000 miles since my last oil change and the oil level is halfway between Full and Empty
empty? or the lower line on the sight glass?

its only about a half pint difference

as long as your above the low line, its still full

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
There's only one of two reasons why u would be losing oil, either burning internally(ie piston rings and the like
the most likely causes of oil consumption ate suckin it into the airbox (wheelies, tip over etc.) or burning oil through valve seals & valve guides (they wear out lot faster than rings)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
empty? or the lower line on the sight glass?

its only about a half pint difference

as long as your above the low line, its still full
It was about 3/4 to 1/2 of the way down between the two lines on the sightglass. I think as long as it's above the bottom line it's ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts