Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there.
i was just wondering, is my clutch abnormal?
i have an '02 sv650.
basically, the "friction zone" is at the almost fully released positiion. i've ridden some friends sv's and the clutch releases much sooner. i installed new clutch plates about 3000 miles ago with no complications. i also made sure to put the no.1 and no.2 plates in the proper order.
does this seem wierd to anyone?
the clutch works fine, i'm just wondering why its different.
thanks

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Have you adjusted it since the plates were replaced? You need to check the release arm adjustment under the front sprocket cover. The cable attaches to an arm. The arm has a lock nut and a slotted shaft in the center of rotation. Loosen the cable adjustment so there's slack in the cable. Loosen the lock nut, keep the wrench on the nut, and use a screwdriver to turn the slotted end clockwise until you feel some resistance. Turn counterclockwise 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut.

Now adjust the cable for about 1/2" free play at the end of the lever.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that last bit of advice!
i did'nt even think to adjust the nut down be the front sprocket. i'm sure thats the problem.
thanks again
tom

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There is a procedure for this...

Loosen the locknut 10 and turn the adjuster © all the way into
the clutch lever assembly .
?
Remove the engine sprocket cover .
?
Loosen the locknut © and turn out the adjusting screw ® two
or three rotations .
?
From that position, slowly turn the adjuster screw OO in until it
stops.
?
Turn the adjuster screw OO out 1/4 rotation, and tighten the
locknut ® .
?
Loosen the locknuts ©, turn the cable adjuster © to obtain 10
- 15 mm (0.4 - 0 .6 in) of free play OA at the clutch lever end .
?
Tighten the locknuts ($) .
Clutch cable play O: 10 - 15 mm (0.4 - 0.6 in)
Clutch release screw: 1/4 turn out

Pics are in the repair manual.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My clutch acts exactly the same since the last time I adjusted it. At first I didn't like it, but then I realized I can shift more quickly this way. I just barely have to squeeze my hand at all and can shift up or down. I am sure I it is just as fast as clutchless shifting, but much smoother.

-josh

·
Registered
500 Posts
My clutch friction point is in the same position and I don't really like it. For traffic driving I would rather have my clutch grab in the middle of the lever and not at the end of the lever's travel. I am going to look into adj. it per the comments on here. I have done it before did it didnt seem to change where my fritcion point was on the lever's range of travel. It ahs always been at the end.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you follow the manual, it will always be at the end of travel.

·
Registered
622 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
If you follow the manual, it will always be at the end of travel.
Now thats what I am talkin about...... Manuel at the end of the travel ya man! I always finish the travel no matter what.... ;D

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
andyauger said:
When I adjust per the manual the clutch is fully engaged just past 1/2 way released.
1st or 2nd gen?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts