Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Gladius for 2 seasons and I absolutely love it. This season my wife decided to ride as a passenger more than riding her own bike and the crowd we hang out with are mostly cruisers. Couple of days ago I got the blessing from the old lady to get a cruiser.

Despite the fact that i can walk into the garage and choose which bike to take for a ride. Is it really practical to have 2 bikes? To those of you who owns 2 or more bikes at home, do you spend most of the time with 1 particular bike and the other one barely see sunlight?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
For several years I would use my FJR whenever I was expecting to ride more than an hour or so and I would take the SV for hooliganism and errands and such around town. I enjoyed having both bikes in Miami and used them each enough to justify keeping them for very different purposes. In the last year or so I have been less interested in long rides or touring so the FJR has been used a lot less, to the point that I am seriously considering selling it. So, being practical, if the bikes are good for different purposes and you use them both, I would say it makes sense. If they are essentially interchangeable, it doesn't. However, not much about riding motorcycles is practical, so make yourself happy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Had the Gladius for 2 seasons and I absolutely love it. This season my wife decided to ride as a passenger more than riding her own bike and the crowd we hang out with are mostly cruisers. Couple of days ago I got the blessing from the old lady to get a cruiser.

Despite the fact that i can walk into the garage and choose which bike to take for a ride. Is it really practical to have 2 bikes? To those of you who owns 2 or more bikes at home, do you spend most of the time with 1 particular bike and the other one barely see sunlight?

Yes. Different bikes for different situations. Sport bikes when I want to take the twisties and cruisers when I want to do a long haul. If you have the money and space, keep both. If you don't. Pick the one you will use more. plus if your wife is letting you have more than one, you should be trying for three and not downsizing.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Not at all. I ride 2 bikes. Zx10 and sv650

Zx gets 4k-6k miles a year in it. I use it for +100 mile trips and high speed riding

Sv650 gets 12-15k miles a year. I use it for everything else.

The main benefit is if a bike goes down I'm still riding. Like the previous post said, if you're not overlapping the usage and you can afford it, keep them both.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I have had my 2002 SV650 for several years. Last year, I added a "cruiser" (although I'm reluctant to call it that) -- a 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV.

The Guzzi scratches a umber of itches: quirky Italian import; limited production bike with high-end components; "traditional" styling (trying to avoid the "cruiser" word again); the urge to have "something different."

After years of touring on the SV, it also fills a number of my needs: better touring capability; better weather protection; more relaxed riding position; hard, lockable luggage; a number of windscreen options; more room for camping gear; better two-up capability.

The SV is seeing less use, obviously. The Guzzi is proving to be a capable bike in the twisties, and a decent around-town bike, as well as a great mile-muncher. Yet, I don't see myself selling the SV any time soon. First, it still brings me more enjoyment than the money I could get for it if I sold it. Second, I still have my soft luggage, and I still occasionally tour on it. Third, it's such a versatile mount, that I don't think I'm done with it. In fact, I'm exploring the idea of doing a mild cafe treatment to it. (I'm in the process of obtaining all of the parts that I'll need.) If I can find a good deal on a leather suit, I may also do a few track days with it.

So, if you have the disposable income, space, and time to devote to two motorcycles, count your blessings -- and your motorcycles! Who says you have to have only one?

As far as which "cruiser" to get, pm me and I'll tell you why you should consider a Moto Guzzi California.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I think if the bikes are for different purposes especially ...then the more the better haha. Both my bikes are essentially toys and neither have to do commute duties. I have 2 but dearly need another 2 at least. Then again, I enjoy fiddling with bikes and get as much enjoyment out of that sometimes, as riding. Currentyy thinking about a DR650 thumper and also a early seventies Honda 90. Variety is a great thing:)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
When I got the Gladius, I had 2 old Triumphs, which I still rode a good bit for the first couple months. After a bit, I started to ride the Gladius more and more, to the point that I store the Triumphs at my dad's shop now. This Spring, I bought a Yamaha FJR sport tourer, and for a while I rode both, but after a while, I got spoiled by the practicality of the saddlebags and rear trunk, so I rode the FJR more and more, and the Gladius less. Any time it's chilly, or rainy, or I'm going to ride a long way, or need to carry something with me, the Gladius made no sense with the FJR sitting next to it. I hadn't ridden the Gladius much in September or October, and just yesterday I sold mine. I will pull a Triumph out of storage and keep it in my shed for when I want to putt around town, but the FJR has turned out to be a much more capable all-around machine for me personally, and unless I find a smokin' deal on an SV1000, the FJR is likely to remain my go-to machine.

If you and your wife are into riding together a lot and want a fun bike to do that, I'd recommend at least trying a sport tourer. Lot more fun than a cruiser, just as practical, and almost as comfortable. If cruisers are your thing, by all means grab one, but you will miss the sporty feel of the Gladius if you try to make your only bike a cruiser.

Jacob

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The SV is my go for a long ride, the track, or just plain out crazy fun bike. The Ninja 250 has been neglected as my fiancee and I have no time to go riding together or continue with her lessons as I decided to propose and a wedding has taken over our time.

The Ninja I will say gets to see a lot more city action, it's easier to take out (SV is chained to a pole) and it never needs gas and I dont get worried that someone will steal it. The SV frightens me, where if I am not looking at it, then I will not park it anywhere. So I guess I should keep both around, but at the moment the Ninja is for sale.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You Americans certainly get the cooler looking Yamaha custom bikes. In Sweden we have 3 boring looking Yamaha custom bikes. If my counting skills are correct you get 25 different models of Yamaha "star" motorcycles (not counting the VMAX).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kodde..indeed it is a yamaha stryker. I have only put about 20 miles on it but the initial impression is very nice and comfortable definitely more suitable for longer rides with the Mrs. in the back.

despite the front tire is bit rigout but the bike is very easy to maneuver even at slow speed. I'm planning to put more miles on it this weekend.

I'll be using my gladius more for commuting to work and going into the city.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The SV is my go for a long ride, the track, or just plain out crazy fun bike. The Ninja 250 has been neglected as my fiancee and I have no time to go riding together or continue with her lessons as I decided to propose and a wedding has taken over our time.

The Ninja I will say gets to see a lot more city action, it's easier to take out (SV is chained to a pole) and it never needs gas and I dont get worried that someone will steal it. The SV frightens me, where if I am not looking at it, then I will not park it anywhere. So I guess I should keep both around, but at the moment the Ninja is for sale.
As a married man with two kids I could of told you to keep and ride the ninja 250 more and scratch the wedding. Cheaper that way. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
You Americans certainly get the cooler looking Yamaha custom bikes. In Sweden we have 3 boring looking Yamaha custom bikes. If my counting skills are correct you get 25 different models of Yamaha "star" motorcycles (not counting the VMAX).
All we have in the US is cruisers. We need more sport touring bikes here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts