Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windshield/windscreen has some scratches basically all over it, is it possible to wet sand and polish or can I sand and paint cleanly?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
A fine polishing compound (e.g. turtle wax polishing compound) and some elbow grease (or a motorized buffer) and it will look great. You have to make absolutely sure there are not hard contaminants (grains of sand, etc.) or you will make big scratches. Use a new/clean cloth or buffer pad, and also wash the windscreen thoroughly first, ensuring there is no grit left anywhere in any crevices.

·
Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
The best plastic polish I've used is Novus #2. Others I tried didn't compare.

That said, sanding and polishing scratches out of clear plastic isn't the easiest thing to do. If you want it black you can paint it on the underside. Don't paint the top. Some people have used PlastiDip on the underside as well.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I use "Plexus", which was developed for aircraft windshields. It works pretty well. Like anything you polish, the softer the cloth, the better it works.

The directions specifically say not to use paper towels. Naturally, I want to just to see what happens. ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use "Plexus", which was developed for aircraft windshields. It works pretty well. Like anything you polish, the softer the cloth, the better it works.

The directions specifically say not to use paper towels. Naturally, I want to just to see what happens. ?
Great, be sure to post the result.(y)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ha! I might try it on an old faceshield some day, but nothing that I care about. Seems like every time I don't read the instructions and warnings on a chemical, it bites me in the backside.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
My windshield/windscreen has some scratches basically all over it, is it possible to wet sand and polish or can I sand and paint cleanly?
i have polished several oem and aftermarket windscreens to look really good. (Deep scratches can be lessened, sometimes not removed.) I was then able to convert them to dollars!! Marketplace is good!
I use either a die grinder with a buffing wheel and some super fine rouge, or my automotive buffer with whatever compound series of course to fine I think I need to get it done. I like chemical guys stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts