Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. I would like to switch out my front sprocket without removing the rear tire if possible.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Your subject and body don’t agree. Front sprocket doesn’t require removing axle. Makes it easier, though. Alternatively, loosen the chain adjusters to increase chain slack, making front sprocket change easier.

Rear sprocket requires axle removal and probably wheel. Possibly could slide out the sprocket without removing the wheel

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Depending on your budget and mileage on your sprockets and chain.while you are in there might consider doing all 3. Its that simultaneous wear situation going on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can quite easily adjust the real tire and replace the front sprocket without removing the rear wheel or axle. To adjust chain slack you need to loosen (but not remove) the axle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on your budget and mileage on your sprockets and chain.while you are in there might consider doing all 3. Its that simultaneous wear situation going on.
Thank you, actually got all three replaced and installed buy a local shop. But I would like to install one more tooth in the front sprockets for a little longer gears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can quite easily adjust the real tire and replace the front sprocket without removing the rear wheel or axle. To adjust chain slack you need to loosen (but not remove) the axle.
Thank you this is just what I needed to hear.

I'm actually having trouble adjusting the rear tire to move forward so I can get some more slack. It just doesn't want to budge after removing the axle nut.

·
Registered
325 Posts
To adjust chain slack you shouldn't be removing the axle nut, just loosening. Loosen the axle position adjusters on each side of the swingarm to move forward/backward within the swingarm. Obviously make sure the wheel/axle isn't binding within the swingarm, this may be what is giving you issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To adjust chain slack you shouldn't be removing the axle nut, just loosening. Loosen the axle position adjusters on each side of the swingarm to move forward/backward within the swingarm. Obviously make sure the wheel/axle isn't binding within the swingarm, this may be what is giving you issues.
So I've loosened the adjusters and pushed the wheel all the way forward, but still doesn't seem to be enough slack to get the chain off the front sprocket. Thought about removing the chain but they how would I get the front sprocket off? It spins on its own

Any other way besides someone pressing down on the rear brake for me to get the front sprocket off? I know people have used a wooden block and stuff but don't have that at the moment.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
You can put it in gear, but I prefer a block of wood across the swing arm and a towel wrapped around the wood to protect the wheel and maybe swing arm. Impact wrench might be best bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts