Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my bike this past March and overall i'm pretty happy with it. I do have one problem that really bugs me, and was looking for some help with it before I go spend money.

My front brakes make me very anxious. under very light braking they react as one would expect, but if I am braking from higher speeds or hard to come to a stop the whole bike lurches. It seems to me I'm getting a lot of braking at just one section of the rotation, with 'normal' braking everywhere else. I'm assuming it's the rotors that have somehow been warped, but I just wanted to see if anyone else ever had this problem.

If it is the rotors, what would a pair cost? Or can mine be trued?

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Have you looked at your pads? I would check there first. If they look okay make sure you have plenty of brake fluid. Also bleed your lines to make sure no air is present. If the rotors are warped you'll have to get a new set, or buy a used set from ebay or someone here on the site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Warped rotors would cause a vibration. Are you feeling a vibration?
Check to see if the calipers are sliding properly on the pins, maybe you just need some maintenance???

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree completely with the above comments. Just do a quick brake tune up before you buy anything to narrow down the problem.

As firestick said, warped rotors will cause vibration when you apply the brake at any speed above 10mph. Definitely bleed lines and check to make sure pads aren't beyond wear limit (groove in pads).

You may also want to check caliper piston function, to do this, remove one caliper and apply the brake to see if both pistons move in sync. Be sure to keep the other caliper on the rotor, or block it with wood so you don't pop out a piston on it. If one piston is stuck, you can free it up by removing pads, blocking the freely moving piston and applying the brake. Once its about 3/4 in out, lube it with brake fluid and push it back in with a c-clamp, repeat until it slides in sync with the other. If you can't get it to free up, you may have to consider a full caliper overhaul which will set you back 30$ for the rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
If it feels like the pads are grabbing harder on one section of the rotor as the wheel turns, try abrading the surfaces of all pads and take some fine emery and lightly go over the rotors as well. Finish with a good cleaning with brake cleaner. Sometimes oil or other contaminants cause uneven brake "grab"

if that doesn't clear it up, you prob. have a warped rotor

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing yet, I was JUST talking about it last night with my riding buddies. My one friend thinks is my rubber lines, he said to go stainless.. I haven't been able to check my rotors or pads for warping or irregular wear. I did however bleed front and rear lines. At first it was almost gone in the front, but then it came back, so now I don't know...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My one friend thinks is my rubber lines, he said to go stainless..
I am sorry, but that is bad advice. The slight increase of feel that you will achieve with SS lines will do nothing but make the problem more noticeable. All the advice about actually checking your braking system, not just bleeding it, is good advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.