Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Is it feasible?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • It depends (please explain)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • No, you're an idiot for even considering it.

Votes: 15 24.6%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And then turn around and ride back 850 miles 5 days later.

On a liter bike (this is important since I'm riding an R1.)

I guess I should clarify that I need to be fully functional when I arrive. I can't be a bag of pulverized meat.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends, but yea. it can be done.

And if you have to ask the internet this, why are you considering it?
Well, the difference between riding from Phoenix to Denver and flying is about 150 dollars give or take a few bucks. I can afford the flight. But I was just pondering the possibility of riding.

My bike is going to be out of the shop in top running condition tomorrow. So it's fully prepared for long distance travel.

·
Super Moderator
8,913 Posts
Do it! You will remember the bike trip for a lifetime; a boring plane ride, not so much. An R1 is not the ideal bike for that trip, but when you are in your 20s, you can do anything.

Be rested, start early, pack light. If it is cold, wear an electric vest; a snug fitting jacket will keep your heat from flap out. A good seat is imperative too if your physique calls for it (we're all different). If anything goes wrong along the way, that is called adventure. :)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Iron Butt riders do 1000 miles a day, don't they? Nick Sanders has ridden a R1 seven times around the world. So, yes. But, not unless you train for riding like that, not a one time gig. Does Denver have snow yet?

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never ridden more than 400 miles in a single day. But that was during winter. So the dynamics are kind of different.

It's like mid 60s in Denver right now. Going up there should be fine because I can start early in the morning in Phoenix and it will cool down along the way.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It is.... but you will hurt, badly.

I did 7xx miles in one day (11 hours) and felt that could easily do another 200 at that point.

5 days later though... I had trouble walking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
On any sport-bike, my vote is NO.

850miles / ~80mph = 10.5 hours (not including gas stops or time to stretch your legs)

You're high if you think you can ride that long and still not be miserable when you get there... and considering you have to turn around and do it again the next day?? HA. Yeah right.

Even in a car that would be tough. I love roadtrips and driving, but some situations arent worth the trouble or pain.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love riding, I love road trips, but just to save 150 bucks... I'd buy the flight and with the time you save, hit the twistys before and after the trip.

My only real concern would be getting time off work/recovery time. Otherwise I'd probably go for the moto adventure too :rock:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've done trips like that (I was 19 and in my physical prime). They suck ass. The $150 saved wouldn't be worth it to me.

Yes, you can do it. No, it won't be safe. No, I don't advise it.

Broken into two or more days, yes. One day, no.
Agreed. Split it between 2 days or fly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did 1000 from mpls to denver in 16 hours one saturday. The next saturday did 1200 miles back the long way through dakotas.
The sore butt only lasted a couple days.
Mid week i did a couple 400 mile days in the mountain passes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided to fly. If I had two days to ride each way, I'd probably do it. But, as was suggested, one day is impractical and risky.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I decided to fly. If I had two days to ride each way, I'd probably do it. But, as was suggested, one day is impractical and risky.
Probably a good idea considering we got snow 2x in the last 5 days in Denver and the mountains got hit with decent accumulations in some spots.

It's not an obscene amount of miles, but if you aren't used to riding for long dostances it would probably kick your ass.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope it snows while I'm there. I've only seen it snowing once in my life.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
When are you traveling? It looks like no snow in the 7 day forecast, but it can go from 70 one day to 20 and snowing the next here when a front passes through. If you really want to see snow your best bet is to head up to the mountains, but that still is no guarantee this early in the season.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I did my last 700 mile day coming back from Daytona...

Took longer than it should, the TL 1000 in of group of 4 bikes , could only go 130 miles per tank.

6 stops and 11.5 hours later at the house.

What do I know about pain, I am only 66???

Get off your a$$ and do it, or not.

:eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts