Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride, I find myself often having to adjust my jeans. So I stand on the pegs and pull down on one pant leg at a time, then bounce a couple times to fix my nether regions. Every time I do this I get really nervous that one or both of my pegs are gonna snap. Does anyone else feel the same way...or am I just wierd?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I know i'm pretty wierd, but I like to use the word unique instead ;D For real though, you don't think the pegs could snap? i'm only 145lbs btw

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
novakane said:
you're weird :) Dont think for a second those pegs are going to snap off ;D
yeah pretty much.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
There are guys much larger than you that have not snapped their pegs off in normal riding conditions. I've seen them snap off in a crash, but never just riding along (even standing on the pegs).

·
Registered
39 Posts
interesting you say that.  I've never thought about my pegs snapping off, but last night I was riding around and heard what sounded like a bolt falling off.  I pulled over and checked everything out.  But for the rest of the night I kept having these fears that I'll go to use the back brake or shifter and it won't be there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
they actually snap pretty easily, even if you drop the bike. I've never heard of them snapping off just from standing on them though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Keep those peg bolts tight.  Unless you have a peg that was damaged in a crash, or re-straightened, I wouldn't worry about the actual peg snapping.  Engineers ain't stupid.  They know you're going to place your weight on those pegs.  But some people do tend to neglect the manual's call to check fastener tightness periodically, and boilts will sometimes loosen over time.  So keep those bolts properly tightened and enjoy your ride.

G

·
It's not so much about the pegs (IM uneducated O); it sounds like you've trained yourself to play the "what if...?" game, as in "What if that car turns in front of me?" or "What if my tire goes flat?". You get the idea.

A little paranoia can be a good thing...

:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
BillyRoy said:
interesting you say that.  I've never thought about my pegs snapping off, but last night I was riding around and heard what sounded like a bolt falling off.  I pulled over and checked everything out.  But for the rest of the night I kept having these fears that I'll go to use the back brake or shifter and it won't be there.
sometimes in loose gravel, i think the front tire will kick up stones at the exhaust pipe for the the front cylinder.  You get a distinct metallic ding, and a most disconcerting feeling in your stomach.  pretty sure its nothing though.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I'd imagine the riders pegs are more stout than the passenger pegs .... and each one can take all the weight of one person depending on what side they get on.

FYI, I do that all the time ........

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh, Thanks!

Now I got more things to worry about!

JK

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've heard of them breaking...BUT- it was on a stunt bike, it'd possibly been dropped, and it was being bounced hard to do a standup wheelie.

You should worry instead about your front wheel falling off. ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've never liked standing on the pegs.. I get the same feeling, even though I KNOW they won't break on an intellectual level...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've only seen a peg break ONCE.

A friend of mine was doing a stoppie, got waay to high and when he slammed back down about 75% of his weight (he's about 160lbs) was on the outer edge of his right peg, it snapped right off. But, remember this was most of his weight slamming down really hard on the outer edge of the peg.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
GlennRay said:
Or a trials bike. The only way to ride one of these effectively is to stand up!
FWIW, I weight 300 geared up, and I've come close to treating my SV like a trials bike, ok I exadurate, a dirt bike, my driveway is washed out and loose rocks, and I occasionally get on a single track trail, most of my off roading is fire trails and I have been on places where I was slipping clutch in 1st & 2nd gear for 40 miles of winding loose rock gravel, mud trails

but then consider my weight, I can thro the 365lb SV around like a 125lb rider can throw around a 150lb gasgas

yup, you can stand on the pegs with no worries

G

·
RandyO said:
FWIW, I weight 300 geared up, and I've come close to treating my SV like a trials bike, ok I exadurate, a dirt bike,  my driveway is washed out and loose rocks, and I occasionally get on a single track trail, most of my  off roading is fire trails and I have been on places where I was slipping clutch in 1st & 2nd gear for 40 miles of winding  loose rock gravel, mud trails

but then consider my weight, I can thro the 365lb SV around like a 125lb rider can throw around a 150lb gasgas

yup, you can stand on the pegs with no worries
Fair enough, RandyO, fair enough. I weigh 145lbs and I have never had any problems with my footpegs other than when I tried to squeeze the bike into a rock crevice that was narrower than the peg mounts.

Good riding my friend,
keep the rubber side down!

Glenn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts