Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been watching the boards for a week now and this is a such a great resource to have!

A quick background: I took a Motorcycle safety course back in 99' and rode an OLD Honda silverwing 750 for a couple years. I mostly went on rides with my dad around the beautiful Arizona landscape. 5 years later, it's time to get a bike again and everything i have read points me toward a
sv650s. It looks great on paper and in reviews. As pointed out earlier this week on the forum, Arizona has run out of bikes until the 06' gets here. So I have not had a chance to test one out. I am 6'3 and 225 lbs. I plan on going on day rides around Arizona with my dad, who rides an 01' goldwing.
I have never ridden a sportbike, but this just seems to be the best for the money and insurance compared to other sportbikes. I'm just worried about the riding position on long rides. I'm also worried about being able to fit on a bike like this. I know I need to go sit on one and test drive it before i decide. but I'm getting tired of waiting around for the 06' SV to get here. So i thought i would ask everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

-David

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just got an SV650, and I love it, your size should not be a problem. If your worried about the riding position, you should get a the SV, not the SVs. They have dirtbike handle bars or somthing like them anyways. Other than that, you might be kinda freaked out on how powerfull a 650 L twin is.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your not too big for the SV. Get it and you will ;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the board David :)  As you noted there doesn't seem to be one new SV here in Phoenix :mad:  I called every dealer I could find in the area and none of them had an SV to sell.  It may come down to waiting for the '06s or making a trip to Tucson.  I'd prefer to buy something around Phoenix though.

Obviously I can't help you decide on the S version.  I personally am going w/the naked as I like the riding position compared to the S version.  I think that the wind protection that the S version offers would be a bit better then the naked but I'm willing to sacrifice riding comfort (riding position) over the wind protection.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Squonk said:
Welcome to the board David :)  As you noted there doesn't seem to be one new SV here in Phoenix :mad:  I called every dealer I could find in the area and none of them had an SV to sell.  It may come down to waiting for the '06s or making a trip to Tucson.  I'd prefer to buy something around Phoenix though.

Obviously I can't help you decide on the S version.  I personally am going w/the naked as I like the riding position compared to the S version.  I think that the wind protection that the S version offers would be a bit better then the naked but I'm willing to sacrifice riding comfort (riding position) over the wind protection.
I thought the same thing with the wind protection, but when your leaning on the handle bars with the wind hitting you, It balances It's self out. And It only makes a problem when your going 90MPH or above. You shouldt be going that fast anyways.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone! So the SV and the SVS do have different riding positions? I am looking for a SVS mainly because of the wind and BUG protection. I'm also waiting to find something here in the phoenix area. I heard that because of the gas prices, everyone went out and bought a motorcycle :'( didn't leave any for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
MellowMarsh said:
Thanks for the info everyone! So the SV and the SVS do have different riding positions? I am looking for a SVS mainly because of the wind and BUG protection. I'm also waiting to find something here in the phoenix area. I heard that because of the gas prices, everyone went out and bought a motorcycle  :'( didn't leave any for me.
HAH!!! if you want wind and bug protection go get a cruiser :-D Trust me I'm 6' tall and nothing is standing in the way of bugs hitting me dead in the visor :-D Most sportbikes don't have very high windshields...and even if you get a custom one put in thats higher, you'd still have to tuck in a lot to he hiding behind the shield. Just wear a full face helmet and you'll be aight ;-)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I am exactly your size, I have the S model and no problems.

Don't lean on your hands, let your lower back arch and support you.  I "pinch" the throttle in my hand rather than grip it all around, less fatigue.

If you do a lot of high speed commuting, get the S, if all you want to do is carve canyons and tool around, get the nekkid.

The hardest thing I had to get used to was the torque, this thing has so much torque, you don't need brakes!
Being smooth with the throttle is the hardest thing I had to learn with this bike.

Spend the money on gear and get the frame sliders, I put mine on in the dealers parking lot before the bike moved an inch!  

Plan on putting about a hundred bucks in the front fork.  It really sucks.  Especially at our weight, it really dives hard.
Get .95 Sonic Springs and a quart of 20 weight oil.  That will do you till you want better.  You will reuse the springs if you want to get emulators later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Currently said:
I am exactly your size, I have the S model and no problems.

Don't lean on your hands, let your lower back arch and support you.  I "pinch" the throttle in my hand rather than grip it all around, less fatigue.

If you do a lot of high speed commuting, get the S, if all you want to do is carve canyons and tool around, get the nekkid.

He's right, you don't really lean hard on the handle bars, just stay relaxd, and get a gell seat. Not that the stock seat is bad, but after long hours of riding it starts to hurt.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
UserName17 said:
Other than that, you might be kinda freaked out on how powerfull a 650 L twin is.

L twin
you say?? ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got an SV. I've been riding on and sitting on lots of bikes lately. Thanks to an impending divorce, I can't buy one right now..... but I'm planning for 6-12 months down the road. My dimensions are very different from yours since I'm only 5'7" and I have 32" long sleeve arms. With that said, I don't like the S model at all. I actually have less lean forward on a Honda CBR600 F4i than I do an SVS.... imagine that. At least it feels that way to me.

I really like the naked bike dirt bike style handlebars thing though. I've sat on but not ridden both a Honda 919, and a Z1000. They both feel a lot like the SV with the Z1000 being particularly tall for someone my height. I'll be getting one of these two beasts or an '03 SV1000 when the time comes to upgrade.

The SVs lack of wind protection bothered me for a few days. That's about it. It doesn't bother me at all unless I top 100 mph then I feel like I'm being pulled off the bike. I have put 9000 miles on my used SV and I have spent many days of 250+ miles in the saddle. Do not let the lack of a windscreen deter you from the SV if you are more comfortable on it. I couldn't imagine doing the 150 mile commute (75 miles one way), I had to do the past two weeks on an S. I just moved thank goodness. I'm now legally seperated and waiting that divorce. Paying bills on two places is a bummer, but it needs to be done for a while :p.

·
Registered
41 Posts
AnthonyS said:
Well I got an SV.  I've been riding on and sitting on lots of bikes lately.  Thanks to an impending divorce, I can't buy one right now..... but I'm planning for 6-12 months down the road.  My dimensions are very different from yours since I'm only 5'7" and I have 32" long sleeve arms.  With that said, I don't like the S model at all.  I actually have less lean forward on a Honda CBR600 F4i than I do an SVS.... imagine that.  At least it feels that way to me. 

I really like the naked bike dirt bike style handlebars thing though.  I've sat on but not ridden both a Honda 919, and a Z1000.   They both feel a lot like the SV with the Z1000 being particularly tall for someone my height.  I'll be getting one of these two beasts or an '03 SV1000 when the time comes to upgrade. 

The SVs lack of wind protection bothered me for a few days.  That's about it.  It doesn't bother me at all unless I top 100 mph then I feel like I'm being pulled off the bike.  I have put 9000 miles on my used SV and I have spent many days of 250+ miles in the saddle.  Do not let the lack of a windscreen deter you from the SV if you are more comfortable on it.  I couldn't imagine doing the 150 mile commute (75 miles one way), I had to do the past two weeks on an S.  I just moved thank goodness.  I'm now legally seperated and waiting that divorce.  Paying bills on two places is a bummer, but it needs to be done for a while  :p.
I'm 5'4, and I make it work, but I still have alot of years to grow.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
MellowMarsh said:
So the SV and the SVS do have different riding positions?
Definitely! The SVS has lower bars, and higher, more rear-set pegs - to place you into a more leaned-over position. You really can't go too wrong with either one though. The one that's "best" for you depends on your personal preference and the type of riding you'll be doing most often. The naked is more comfortable for long rides and city traffic - and the riding position of the 'S' is better suited to fast, twisty roads and track days. That's not to say you can't commute on an 'S' or carve twisties on a naked though. Just try them both and go for the one you like better. Also, don't forget that they can both be modified with aftermarket parts (bars, rearsets, farings, etc) to be whatever you want later.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Go w/ the "S", if you don't like the position later on get heli risers and new rear sets. Now you have the upright position w/ the fairing wind protection. If you want more wind protection, get a touring windscreen.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
...or just get a naked and add an aftermarket windscreen. ;) That was my original plan - but I got used to the wind after about a week of riding - and now, a year and a half and about 8k miles later I no longer want one. With no screen, your head is up in clean, undisturbed air - so it's smooth and quiet. Like others have said, it's not a problem until you're up in "go directly to jail" speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts