Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm totally new to bikes and want an SV650.  Gotta be naked!  ;) I'm looking at the "used" market and found an '01 that has some promise but what concerns me the most is the front wheel is dented from a pothole.  He says the tire holds air fine and it doesn't have any balancing issues.  Are any of you riding on a dented rim?  Is it safe?  Since I'm new to motorcycles, I'm paranoid about safety.  Thanks!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My front rim is sufficiently banged up from potholes that every time I get the tire swapped out, the tech asks me "Do you know your rim is dented?", to which I always reply, "yes, I'm aware of it, thanks".

Bottom line for me is:

the wheel is still true; no wobbling, problems balancing, or other performance issues

the tire holds air pressure; only adjustments I need to make are temperature or purpose related...

Would I pass on an otherwise fit bike if it had a dented rim? Nope; If it really bugs you, you can always score a replacement rim on e-bay. HTH.....

[edit: I forgot my manners :-[. Welcome to the site and to the cult of the SV... 8)]

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I rode a wheel with a dented rim for about 30.000 miles with no problem whatsoever (´cept for the odd mechanic statement as already mentioned). I just changed it to a undented one because of the long-term griping of some riding buddies - should´ve ignored them, actually. *g*
If the bike seems a good deal otherwise and a test ride shows no front end issues, get it.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
72 Posts
it's not going to kill anything if it holds air, spins true, and balances. it'll sacrifice some longevity, and if you hit another huge pothole it may crack on you, but it'll be fine if the dent isn't too bad.

if that's the only thing holding you back though, definately buy the bike -- you can get it straightened, or just get a new wheel. it's super easy to swap out a wheel for a stock replacement one, and with all the gsxr front end swaps going on around here i'm sure there's a few extra front wheels floating around that can be had for cheap. =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments, everyone. Hopefully me and this guy can work a deal... Then I can stop talking about buying a bike and start talking about riding it! Butterboy, I'll keep you in mind...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 01 came with a dented front rim also....been riding on it for 3 years without any issues....I don't really like the look though. I have considered replacement if I found a good deal on one.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
my track bike has dents in the front and rear wheels. i plan on putting gsxr wheels on there and will probably get the stock wheels straightened while they're off. i brought one of my car wheels in to be fixed after it was eaten by a pothole. gonna try the same place for the bike wheels

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I put a nice dent in my front rim 2 years ago from a stupid manhole cover that was stuck up 3 inches above pavement and couldn't avoid thanks to blind turn. It held air but worried about it. It was just ever so slightly out of balance too. Well, long story short... I ran the pee out that bent rim that weekend on a track day topping out the SV on straights and draggin knee on corners.

my opinion... if it holds air and doesn't effect your riding... don't worry about it ;)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
As was already said, if the bike still rides true and holds air in the tire don't let it turn you off from the bike. Dinged up rim isn't important as long as the bike doesn't wobble or lose air because of it. Replacements are fairly cheap on the ebay. Use it as a price bargaining chip.

·
Registered
606 Posts
They can be fixed very easily also. Dents happen. You cab get it straightened out and it should be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Getting a wheel straightened locally only costs $75 in Phoenix. I'd find someone near you to do it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
finally found this thread and appreciate all the comments,

I've put 2500 miles on the used naked I bought with dented wheel - but holds air and doesn't wobble with no hands riding - to me the "acid test" is no wobble with hands off riding.

Other bikes I've owned (cruisers and tourers) you couldn't ride no hands without wobble even on newer tires, pristine rims properly balanced. This is a frequently discussed problem on many touring bikes and drives lot's of owners nuts.

Bottom line, thanks to all the feedback, I've decided to run my denteds wheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts