Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just fitted up one of those superlight shorai LiFe batteries and in 1 fell swoop dropped ~6lbs from my SV. unfortunately i had zero miles in this season before making the swap, so i didnt have a well calibrated feel for handling after the long winter layoff up here in MI. but based on my not-super-fresh recollection of my bike's handling from the prior 4 riding seasons, my bike *seems* to tip into corners more willingly and handles quick left-right changes in direction more willingly.

so i'm wondering, am i imagining things or is a 6lb drop in weight from a battery-swap enough to change my SV's handling enough to be readily felt?

6lbs vs. a 400lb bike + 200lb rider w/ gear just isnt alot, but a battery is pretty dense and relatively high on the SV, so a drop in weight there would tend to have a greater effect on handling than the same weight loss down low, say around the gearbox for instance.

given how little saddle time i have this season, i'm not sure my seat-of-the-pants sensors are calibrated well enough this year to be certain (quite sad, indeed, but i digress). anyone here have experience to back this up or shoot it down?

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think the rule of thumb is for every 3 lbs lost is like gaining 1hp. ill have to look

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
Is it?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I thought I felt a difference when I did the swap. I dunno, though. It might have imagined it.

Can you feel the difference in the weight of one gallon of gas? It's about the same.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd say it's noticeable but you'd probably have to be looking for it. 1-2 psi in tire pressure would be more noticeable.

How heavy is a really big crap?

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
3-4 pounds if you do it right.

·
Registered
818 Posts
~400lb bike + ~200lb rider ~600lbs SV650 ~75hp ~8lb/hp

Theoretical acceleration should improve slightly. Braking difference will negligible. Professionals on the racetrack probably could feel a difference in handling on the racetrack. It is possible that you can actually feel the difference on the street, but it could well be tire pressure (as noted), other factors, or your memory/imagination just as easily.

All in all, the weight reduction is a good thing, and you are the best one to decide if the difference was worth the cost. I'm interested in the Shorai's, but each time it comes to actually spending the money, I choose to save money vs saving weight. :)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Honestly I can't tell much of a difference between a full tank of fuel versus an empty tank. Nor could I tell much of a difference with new tires. Or loaded saddlebags for that matter.

What I COULD tell a difference from, however, was aftermarket rearsets and the tps adjustment. Those made a big impact on the street. The rearsets make me feel much more comfortable in the mountains.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
Science time? What about duck tape?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
The battery sits fairly low in the chassis so I doubt you'll notice much difference. If I put 6lbs in my tank bag though I notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If someone had swapped it without you knowing you'd have never noticed a difference. :)
yeah, prolly right. :icon_biggrin:

fwiw, I have good physical perception...I race bicycles and if you changed the position of my saddle or handlebars or controls by 2mm in any direction without saying, i'd know it within 5 seconds of starting to pedal. yes, 2mm.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
yeah, prolly right. :icon_biggrin:

fwiw, I have good physical perception...I race bicycles and if you changed the position of my saddle or handlebars or controls by 2mm in any direction without saying, i'd know it within 5 seconds of starting to pedal. yes, 2mm.
What sort of bicycles do you race?

I used to do downhill mtb and if anything was moved 2mm I figured it was from crashing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I know I recognize a easier to turn in difference when I have a full tank of gas... Id imagine the battery would make a little difference but not too much because of its central position.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What sort of bicycles do you race?
roadie. i dabble with mtb, prefer pavement.

older/slower these days, but i still train as my schedule allows so i can get out and rip it up!

here's my primary bike these days -- weighs less than 3 LiFe batteries!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A 6lb reduction in unsprung wgt, you would notice. Save up your dollars for lighter wheels or rotors, or choose your tires by wgt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts