Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You have been gone a while. Sorry to hear of your accident. Did some gear fail you?

I remember you 'cause I love the pic in your signature.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry to hear that. The same thing happened to my dad. No ammount of gear can help you in that situation. A sixteen year old girl was talking on her cel phone and blew the stop sign. She hit my dad in the side at an estimated speed of 40 mph. Once again I'm sorry about your arm. Keep doing your physical therapy and one day you'll ride again. They can do wonders now. Neurontin can help as well. Main thing, don't give up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yikes.

Sorry to hear that your arm is no good.
I lost the feeling in my right thumb for several years after I accidently stabbed it with a knife (trying to fix my snowboard binding with a steak knife).

i sure hope time will make your arm just like new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Holy crap that sucks. I hope you heal up soon. :'(

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Keep your spirits up, do the PT, and hopefuly things will get better over time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also see lots of people running red lights.  I try never to go through a green light without slowing down and looking, and after my mother got creamed by a teenager who ran a stop sign, I've started being very careful at all intersections.  Unfortunately we don't have enough eyes to look out for all the traps that could get us killed or maimed, but I've learned that I absolutely can't be as carefree on the bike as I am in a car.

I ride my bike to work, but I've also made a rule for myself that I will NEVER ride the bike when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere.  If I absolutely have to get there on time, I'll drive. That takes away all the pressure and lets me focus more on being safe and hopefully at least improves the odds somewhat.

I don't know the extent of your injury, but I know that depending on the severity, nerve damage can heal with time.  I have my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That really sucks! :(
Ever since I had an extremely close call of being T-Boned at a high-speed intersection, I've been very cautious at intersections.
Glad to hear you're still alive though. Hope you can ride again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Real Bad! I know how you feel, I had someone run a stop sign in June and I "T" boned into him. I have been laid up for 11 weeks so far and just started on a cane today for the first time. The surgeon says that I have at least until next June before I can expect to be anywhere near normal. Even though it sounds like you are worse off don't give up. Stay with the Physio and you may get back to riding again. Best of luck, don't give up, and please keep the board informed of how you are doing.

Rick

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanx all, feel better rick.

i do go to pt twice a week and they have me on neurontin 3 times a day. The lawyer is suing the guy.

I wasn't wearing any leather, just a shirt.The leather would've def helped since all the muscles on my left side of my neck was cut(along with a nerve). This was back in july, bein cool w/ a sleeveless could've cost my life.

No matter how hot it is out there or how short your trip, wear your gear as if your going on a 1,000 mile trip.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
enrico vespa said:
No matter how hot it is out there or how short your trip, wear your gear as if your going on a 1,000 mile trip.
Enrico, thanks for sharing!
The lesson I am taking from your experience is .. "Too hot to wear gear ... too hot to ride."

I bought some mesh gear and upgraded the armor padding to CE levels.
See www.newenough.com website, armor section ...

I wore it for the first time today and it felt like I was just wearing a tshirt on the highway.
There is no reason to ride with no gear with the choices we have today!

To give you some hope, I once had a bad back injury and my left leg atrophied to half the diameter of my right leg. With a lot of PT and exercising on my own, I was able to overcome it and regained 95% of my strength. The only thing I can't do is keep a beat with music with that leg. Strength and major muscle coordination is all there (walk without limping, climb steps and ladders, shift gears with my bike), just have problems with fine motor control portion.

Work hard ... you won't notice the progress but those around you will!

Hang in there, it is slow but it is worth every inch you gain!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts