Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if someone can either point me in some direction or share similar experience with an 03 SV650 and found a remedy to my concern.

The bike intermittently shuts off. At about 2500 miles, I added a YOSHIMURA R-3 AFTERMARKET PIPE, nothing else has been addded to the bike. The bike ran just fine until about the 5500 mile mark. The bike would simply shut off, especially when rolling up hill and stopping and quickly releasing the throttle. To duplicate the symptom I would then blip or goose the throttle (where the throttle is quickly opened and closed) and the bike will most always shut off. The fuel pump then kicks on to load the fuel lines and injectors with fuel to anticipate another start up and I then have to restart the bike. Bike has < than 7K miles and the symptom is most noticable below 150 degrees F.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or assistance. I am new to the sport and am unfamiliar with my bikes components but am an experienced automotive mechanic. I am familiar system operations which I assume function similarly to the components & systems on my bike. I say all this to let those of you know that if you respond, please do not hold back with what to probe and how to probe the bikes components and systems.

Thank you...

Jose

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check where the idle is. Mine just started doing the exact same thing about two weeks ago. Adjusted my idle before my last ride, and rode all day with no isues. My idle was down near 900 rpm, and I bumped it up to 1200, middle of suggested range for the 1K. I don't kno what the range is for the 650, but your manual should help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, check the idle, and adjust the throtle position sensor as well. There's a good tutorial on sv650.org on how to do that, but I don't have the link anymore. I did this and my bike doesn't die as much anymore. I went on a 220+ mile ride this weekend and it died once, as I came off a stop sign. I'm not sure I'm not to blame, though.

André

1 - 3 of 3 Posts