Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
"insulation wrapped exhaust pipes (to move exhaust extra fast through the pipes and reduce back pressure) hence, boosting horse power. The motor has been Ported and polished."

My question is how in the world does wrapping the exhaust have anything to do with increasing back pressure? This guy's an engineer too? Not only that but he should've done his research, porting and polishing doesn't net that much HP gain. He should've saved his money and did a busa pistons & cam swap.

Grav.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
GraVitY said:
"insulation wrapped exhaust pipes (to move exhaust extra fast through the pipes and reduce back pressure) hence, boosting horse power. The motor has been Ported and polished."

My question is how in the world does wrapping the exhaust have anything to do with increasing back pressure? This guy's an engineer too? Not only that but he should've done his research, porting and polishing doesn't net that much HP gain. He should've saved his money and did a busa pistons & cam swap.

Grav.
actually, the exhaust wrap doesn't increase back pressure... it reduces it I believe by keeping the exhaust gases hotter and reportedly it does help increase hp I have heard but its not going to be very noticeable if done alone because the gain is very minimal. Lots of race cars use it on their headers and back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
GraVitY said:
Not only that but he should've done his research, porting and polishing doesn't net that much HP gain. 
Sorry Grav, but this statement, taken out of context, would get you booted back to second grade of performance engine building. Perhaps on the SV head there's not ample room to make improvement, but increased head flow is the basis for HP gains. Just sounded funny the way you said it.

I still contend that the line drawing on their site isn't bad looking. Something DEFINITELY got lost in translation to reality.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read discriptions before asking questions

According to the description it's a zero gravity upper fairing and a custom lower.

·
Registered
449 Posts
rivited said:
Sorry Grav, but this statement, taken out of context, would get you booted back to second grade of performance engine building. Perhaps on the SV head there's not ample room to make improvement, but increased head flow is the basis for HP gains. Just sounded funny the way you said it.

I still contend that the line drawing on their site isn't bad looking. Something DEFINITELY got lost in translation to reality.
You are correct, however this should be done after more important things are done first. I've always been told that port & polish is one of the final things you should mod when rebuilding an engine. Besides the gain on this alone really doesn't do anything without a better flowing ehaust, or intake.

Grav.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Doesnt anyone want to comment that an SV 650 is NOT FAST AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there quick but come on when I think of fast as HELL I think of a GSXR 1000 or a 1000RR or even a R1 NOT A SV 650. Obviously this guy has never ridden a really fast bike.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Doesnt anyone want to comment that an SV 650 is NOT FAST AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there quick but come on when I think of fast as HELL I think of a GSXR 1000 or a 1000RR or even a R1 NOT A SV 650. Obviously this guy has never ridden a really fast bike.
"fast" is all relative... to situation, previous experience and perceptions... besides... its apparent he is hyping his bike up for a good sale

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
syntheticton said:
"fast" is all relative... to situation, previous experience and perceptions... besides... its apparent he is hyping his bike up for a good sale
No different when someone tells you they are dating this super hawt chick and then your meet her and wonder WTF this guy was about?? Dude she's a solid 7.5. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Jon Mueller said:
Doesnt anyone want to comment that an SV 650 is NOT FAST AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I know there quick but come on when I think of fast as HELL I think of a GSXR 1000 or a 1000RR or even a R1 NOT A SV 650.  Obviously this guy has never ridden a really fast bike.
I always avoid any auction that has the words "not GSXR(CBR, YZF etc.)" in the header. The guy is probably some stupid squid... Uh oh, I've started squid bashing already...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
TestaStretta said:
I always avoid any auction that has the words "not GSXR(CBR, YZF etc.)" in the header. The guy is probably some stupid squid... Uh oh, I've started squid bashing already...
why? its just good marketing to do that... I see this all the time even with non MC stuff... reason... what if you were looking for a bike but...was looking for a GSXR really and just happen to see a good deal on an SV that you have heard good things about... might buy it instead right?

its the name association thing... its a good way to get your auction listing seen by people who otherwise might not have found it in a search... I have found several worthy items this way on ebay ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts