Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear the statement that you should ride 100 easy miles on new tires to "scrub them in" because the new tires have a coating on them or that you need to rough them up. The Dunlop tire site states " The 100 mile run in is required to adjust to the feel of new tires versus the worn tires" No mention of slick new tires. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Liability inspired CYA....

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
the truth doesn't work in this case. Ppl would run brand new tires very hard if they didn't worry about slippage.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
rompus-- Not if being upfront with the truth costs you sales. Then it would be Bankrupt YA... ;D

The way tort law is these days in the U.S. with no one responsible for their own stupidity, the mere hint of a liability vulnerability gets the tort lawyers circling like sharks on a bleeding tuna. Why let the safety of the customer interfere with a sale?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Six Chin Skinny said:
rompus-- Not if being upfront with the truth costs you sales. Then it would be Bankrupt YA... ;D

The way tort law is these days in the U.S. with no one responsible for their own stupidity, the mere hint of a liability vulnerability gets the tort lawyers circling like sharks on a bleeding tuna. Why let the safety of the customer interfere with a sale?
Okay that makes sense

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My statements are now designed to confuse rather than make sense. It's more fun that way...

I will now not fail to cease corrupting your thread...

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The dunlop site is correct, you should be cautious until you have the feel for the new rubber. They are a little greasy initially out of the wrapper. They are a differrent shape than your old worn tires (effecting turn in mostly) due to front tire roundness vs, the triangular shape of a worn tire. 100 miles is probably a bit much, considering racers are up tp speed within a couple laps of putting sticker tires on. AS long as the tires are warmed up, they should be good, its just a matter of youadjusting to the new feel. I think most riders would be careful on new stuff anyway, so its kind of a needless statement really, but it never hurts to ensure people are conscious of the change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah right never underestimate the stupidity of the average consumer. Hell I remember slippin the rear end out the first rear change pulling out my driveway. I even knew to be carefull, but did not realize how slick a new tire can be at first.
to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts