Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1110 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... ive gotten really tired of trying to find that elusive 7th gear, but absolutely refused to see the solution of a Gear Position Indicator being worth 100 to 150 bucks! seriously, just to know what gear i am in? however, i saw the DIY instructions on bluegauges, and added in that i make a living programming robots to populate circuit boards. this brought me to one conclusion....

Im going to build my own. it will differ from the bluegauges A LOT because i am going to have a programmed chip which will eliminate the need for 3/4 of the simulated logic from the bluegauges design. i was also determined to have a digital display.

the program should be done tomorrow, so i can use breadboard to make a proto.

THE QUESTIONS:

1. would anybody be interested if i could build it for a price that allowed me to sell them for fifty dollars?

2. would it influence your decision if i left the option for different color digital gauges?

3. obviously first gear would display 1, second would display 2, and so on. for neutral however, i have decided on either just a 0, or to make the six segments that make the zero dance in a clockwise direction. does anybody else have any ideas for neutral?

this would be based on the voltages from the gear position sensor of an SV. however, its not an exact voltage, there is a gap between each gear so i plan to use a window. this may allow this to work for other bikes. you would have to find out what those voltages are for your bike and i would let you know if it would work, for anyone interested with a non SV bike.

And, finally, if the price is what would be deterring you (though it is at least half off of any i have seen) please suggest a price and i will see if i can get parts cheaper, have raw pcbs produced cheaper or even accomplish such a price by making a mininum number of orders before production.

Note that this is only a feeler to check on interest. i am making one for me, as for you guys it depends on how many are interested... sorry.

oh, and please just reply to the thread so that (in the case of major interest) my inbox does not fill up. if the projects gets the go i will begin requesting PMs

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
yes I would buy one, but only if it has a high quality bright digital gauge. A bright shift light would be great too, and pretty easy to implement. And it better not require splicing.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
What are you using for the ADC? I was going to try to make one using TTL chips but uh... it was beyond my comprehension how to set the voltage ranges.

The manual gives the voltage ranges for gears. If you're already doing that you could make a smart/automatic switchable TRE for it too. I'd pay $50 for a GPI.. It'd have to be waterproof tho.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd be interested. I love it when any one takes the bull by the horns so to speak. Post up some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as bright gauges im with you there... my gauges are blue with an illumiglo reverse style gauge cover, so mine will be blue. if the proto works, i will build a good one (i actually have one other guy helping me, so i cannot take all the credit) and post pics. judging by how quick i already had three people interested, im thinking this may work out as long as design works. i actually plan to coat mine and mount it behind my dash panel (i converted to full fairing). however, i have not forgotten you guys and your nakeds. my associate and i have already discussed the cost of having two designs verse making a design that can be manipulated either way. traditionally you have a few wires in insulation running to a small "pod" which is actually the small square display. however, i have not seen how these can be cleanly mounted in my opinion. my personal one will have the board with all components and a small standoff/spacer to allow me to mount the board behind my gauges leaving the led display flush with the bezel.

to hit the question of splicing... its absolutely impossible not to have to splice man. sorry. you are going to require a ground (all LEDs do), a 12 volt source (most of us have distribution blocks anyways, and there will be a third wire that has to be spliced to the gear position sensor. i fail to see how you can have a device read what gear you are in without an input unless you want to push a button each time you shift up pr down and hope you dont forget one time... if you have something in mind that i am not aware of (quite possible since i am new to the bike world) please let me know soon. perhaps i could find a cheap plug and include the pins, but that would require you to cut your gear position sensor wire pin both ends and place them in the plug with the wire i have running to the chip.

please peeps feedback is important, im lovin the ideas and questioning so far!

more criticism = better product!

keep in mind,i may be able to make some special ones for special requests, but my goal is to get something that is a quality product and keep it affordable. thos of you who want to spend more for extra fancy stuff that is fine... shoot me some ideas! this whole project started because i am unwilling to spend the 100 or 150 for others.

okay, i have heard some about the TRE, but am not familiar enough to play with it so MAVIRYK, please PM me as to what this is and what is needed to accomplish your suggestion... maybe it could be an option, but again, options cost more and i dont want to get rich off this but i need my cost back and a lil for time spent.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
hmm i was hoping out of all the unused plugs under the seat, one of them might have a 12v lead and a tie in to the gear position sensor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Subscribed. Interested to see how yours turns out and that will probably affect my decision for purchase.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the 12v im sure is the least of anyones worries, and i would love it if someone could find a plug that led back to the gear position sensor, then all i have to do is finde the mating plug and pin the wire... anyone? you would be my hero for a day... fine, i will have to find the schematics on the wiring tomorrow and see what i can dig up.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
eternity I don't have enought PM room to PM you, but the gist of it is that you are already splicing into the gear position wire, you might as well add 1 transistor and a couple resistors and do the TRE.

For the plug and play action, go here and contact 92westshady to see where he sourced the OEM connectors. If you need the 12v power, include a power lead with a round attachment that hooks to the battery (preferably with fuse). The link also has info on the TRE. It interupts the Gear Position Sensor and tells the ECU that the bike is in 6th when the clutch is engaged using the Neutral signal and a relay.

Now that I think about it more, $100 sounds about right for a smart TRE and GPI. You might get it down to $75 if you get connectors and the TRE in there.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
hmmm....interesting. that's a great idea man.

subscribing

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
im looking into the TRE as we speak. so far ive seen where some people just disconnect two wires and voila! im a lil tired tho so maybe tomorrow i will check it out more. i did however, find a colored wiring diagram and it appears that the GPS has a plug inline so if i could find those connectors, i will be able to just make a small extension basically which will include the splice so that no tampering needs to be done to the original wiring. i prefer not to tamper with wires when avoidable anyways... i suppose this would be a fine time to mention that i have not physical locateed and inspected the GPS. this all came about at work this morning and i have yet to get the wiring aspect, so i appreciate the advice and/or help so far.

as far as contacting 92westshady about the TRE and all, i feel awkward contacting someone about their product so as i may use that info to create a somewhat competing product... his design is his and out of respect i dare not ask for his design or how it works. i will do some research and see what i can come up with based on that and you guys' input. fair enough?

EDIT: i see now how they aTRE works and considering the NPN transistor and two resistors, overall cost is only $1... problem is finding connectors and seeing what they cost...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
No offense to 92westshady, but to people who know how to solder and know basic electronics this stuff is cake. A little heatshrink and solder does wonders for making electronics work look professional.

The diagram for the automatic TRE mod can be found here, it was originally copied from svriders.org .

He's been asked to make a GPI, but doesn't want to in order to keep the costs down. I don't think you'll be competing at all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
funny you post that because that is the post i just stumbled upon. i think it would be stupid to not spend the $1 on components and add the aTRE to my project, especially since as you say it is right in the exact same circuit! the only possible complication i see is the cost of the connectors which i would want to use even if i didnt add the aTRE now that i know it is an option from seeing the wiring diagram.

man, i may be gettin into mor than i intended here.... i wanna do this tho and i dont see why i shouldnt make it available to others. even if i only make a buck or two profit off each one, it would eventually make mine free and maybe even profit a smidge...

i just hope i can still hit around the $50 mark... if he is chargin 27 bucks or whatever and that only covers the dollar for the transistor and resistors (if that) then the connectors must be pricey , shipping must be pricey, or he is going to radioshack instead of ordering bulk from like allied electronics or digikey or something.... i will do some research tomorrow since i need to get up in four hours to go to work....

thanks a lot to all who have guided me so far...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me want now! Me want, me want! If you do this right, you could make it work on any bike? You'll be doing some bikers a favor and make some good coin

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have the owner's manual with gear/output voltages if you need them.

Also, for neutral, either 0 or turn off the display. You already have 1 neutral display light, no need for two.

1 - 20 of 1110 Posts