Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function and I didn't turn up much.

Has anyone ever tried to use the factory break lights as turn signals. the guy I bought my bike off of put this dull tiny rear turn signals on. I would like something bigger and bright so I figured why not turn the breaks into S/S/R lights.

So again has anyone done this and how hard is it?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mine came with clear taillights that have red for the on and brakes and then orange leds integrated into if for the turn signals so its all one piece and there are no actual turn signals on the rear that stick out. Looks as if it was spliced that way. So I assume it would definately be doeable for sure!

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
they sell the tail light assemblies already fixed up for that. you can probably sell your stock one for almost the cost of the new one. i think they're from a brand called clear alternatives and they come in clear or smoked.

·
Registered
443 Posts
they sell the tail light assemblies already fixed up for that. you can probably sell your stock one for almost the cost of the new one. i think they're from a brand called clear alternatives and they come in clear or smoked.
thats the one that came on my bike when I got it, the clear alternatives one with integrated brake lights and turn signals into the same unit

·
Registered
207 Posts
It can be done with the factory tail light also. But, I can't find the thread that explains it at the moment. It involves getting a generic trailer hook up form an auto parts store in order to make it work but it is possible. I don't care for it only because when they flash all the lights on that side go on and off so you lose your brake light on that side while its flashing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It also involves heating the taillight to separate the lens from the housing. Not a project for the faint of heart or those without a spare.

The problem with the aftermarket integrated units is that they are all very dim and sacrifice huge amounts of visibility compared to the stock tail & brake lights. I'd rather not have someone run me over from behind at 50-60 mph because they couldn't see my super dim china LED's, all so I can 'look cool' and have shaved rear signals...

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Mine came with clear taillights that have red for the on and brakes and then orange leds integrated into if for the turn signals so its all one piece and there are no actual turn signals on the rear that stick out. Looks as if it was spliced that way. So I assume it would definately be doeable for sure!
I'm not sure about other states, but up here in the Peoples' Republic of Washington, the integrated turn signal/brake lights are illegal. The turn signals have to be something like 14" apart. Check your state's laws before using them or the popo will getcha!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm not sure about other states, but up here in the Peoples' Republic of Washington, the integrated turn signal/brake lights are illegal. The turn signals have to be something like 14" apart. Check your state's laws before using them or the popo will getcha!
It came on the bike so I can't complain, I will say they are very dim, I havent looked at them in the daylight to see how they look but I am probably going to ad some rear turn signals like stock ones with the license plate attachment just got the sake of visibility. I'll have to check what teh guy above said about the brake light and the turn signal at the same time, I havent checked that at all yet but should probably pull it all out into the bright sun and stand back and have my wife hit the brakes and signals from a distance to see how they look.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
It can be done with the factory tail light also. But, I can't find the thread that explains it at the moment. It involves getting a generic trailer hook up form an auto parts store in order to make it work but it is possible. I don't care for it only because when they flash all the lights on that side go on and off so you lose your brake light on that side while its flashing.
I believe that thread only applied to Gen1 lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts