Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on ebay the other day for small upgrades for my bike and I came across integrated turn signals for the front and rear of my bike. The front ones are suposed to turn my running lights into blinkers and the back simply use my break lights for blinkers. My question is, does anyone have these and are they worth the purcase? Do they work well? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You missed two questions:
1. Are they legal where I live? Laws vary widely, check it out first. Where I live they are illegal even if you leave the stock stalks in place and operating. The problem is that integrators alter the function of the brake light, which is illegal. Also, front turn signals must be amber, period.

2. Can drivers or riders behind me tell which direction I'm turning? Generally, no.

Consider both the safety and legal aspects before doing the modification. IMHO, the stock signals are not aesthetically pleasing, but they get the job done.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm not real thrilled about the rear tail light as the turn signal (not enough separation to make it clear what direction you are signaling to other vehicles). Check out Hotbodies.com undertails which provide some nice low profile turns as part of the undertail. The front running lights can be turned into turn signals without a kit. You can splice the wires from the running lights into the turn signal wires. They are both located in the same area and it is VERY easy to do. All you need to do is buy a #194 wedge bulb in amber color from your local auto parts store and replace the white bulb that is presently there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How badly do the headlights drown out those little bulbs though? Someone had a video on this board (IIRC) that had done that and they were pretty hard to see if memory serves correct.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When the suns out, it's hard to see those through the headlights, but at night you can see them pretty good. I had mine set up like that, but my girl said she could barely see them, and then see showed me! She was right, when I'd meet my own bike, I could barely see the lights, so I put the stock lights back on for now until I find some I like! 8)

·
Registered
415 Posts
andyauger said:
You missed two questions:
1. Are they legal where I live? Laws vary widely, check it out first. Where I live they are illegal even if you leave the stock stalks in place and operating. The problem is that integrators alter the function of the brake light, which is illegal. Also, front turn signals must be amber, period.

2. Can drivers or riders behind me tell which direction I'm turning? Generally, no.

Consider both the safety and legal aspects before doing the modification. IMHO, the stock signals are not aesthetically pleasing, but they get the job done.
Front blinkers can also be white.

here in cali, my set up is elligal, but Im not bothered by the cops. All they realy care about is that they can see my license plate, and that it has a light on it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I wish my tail light was clear, damn. O well. What year did they do that 04-05? I havent really looked at any sv's since I bought my 03.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have the running lights converted to turn signals AND I have greggs flush mount turn signals as well. So, I'm not advocating using ONLY the front running lights as turn signals. I agree that wouldn't be enough turn signal power! As far as the clear tail light goes, that is not factory. It is a clear alternatives tail light.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thas what i figured but i wasnt sure, very wel could have been considering i havent been paying atention. im good at that

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Couple of things. First, turn indicator cover lenses can be clear, front or rear, but front lights have to flash yellow, rears have to flash red. This is a DOT requirement. There may be places that allow white front turn signals. I'd stick with yellow.

Many areas strictly follow DOT regulations, part of which specifies that the center-to-center distance of the turn signals has to be 12" minimum.

Everyone would be well advised to check locally what is legal and then stick with that. Everyone would also be well advised to consider the safety aspects of signals that are not easy to see and clear on which direction you plan to turn. You need all the help you can get on a bike.

·
Registered
935 Posts
How about this....... turnsignals on a motorcycle are not a requirement where I live. Amber is allowed on the rear, considering my sv, when I got it anyway, has turnsignals that blink amber, but it can not be constantly illuminated.......wierd. Furthermore that is what they invented hand signals for, people riding pedal bikes, and contrary to popular belief theses very same signals are available to todays motorcyclist.......hum.

·
Registered
415 Posts
andyauger said:
Couple of things. First, turn indicator cover lenses can be clear, front or rear, but front lights have to flash yellow, rears have to flash red. This is a DOT requirement. There may be places that allow white front turn signals. I'd stick with yellow.
This is from the California DMV page.

Left front turn signal light clean, operating, and proper color (amber or white on signals facing front).
Left rear turn signal light and both stop lights clean, operating, and proper color (red or amber, depending on the year of the vehicle).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/sec4_a.htm

And again, it realy just depends on where you live. SV rear signals are amber, but I have red (integrated into the tail light)
Mine are LEDs so they are extremly bright.
I got pulled over for my license plate not being mounted (it was the day I did my turn signal integration, and had not yet mounted it, it was in my backpack)

I had to mount it and get it signed off from the CHP, they signed off on it even with my signals the way they are.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
I have the running lights converted to turn signals AND I have greggs flush mount turn signals as well.  So, I'm not advocating using ONLY the front running lights as turn signals.  I agree that wouldn't be enough turn signal power!  As far as the clear tail light goes, that is not factory.  It is a clear alternatives tail light.
exactly what i was thinking of doing using both my lp flush mounts on the back and getting the clear alternatives integrated tail light. so it would kinda give it that run way effect of the blinking lights going off in a direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts