Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on integrating the rear signals into the tail light, short stalks or keeping the factory signals.

My concern is visibility. The look of totally integrated signals is very cool, but how much visibility do you sacrifice? Same goes for short stalk signals.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

G

·
I wish you would have split it into a 3-way poll. I don't think integration is very visible, but I don't have a problem with short-stalks.

G

·
I think that totally integrating the signals, as sleek as it may look, is not a great idea. As most riders know, people in cars don't watch out for motorcycles. Half the time they don't even know we're there. Short stalks seem to be a nice compromise. Assuming your bulbs are all burning bright and clean, I don't see anything wrong with swapping to short signals.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
turn signals

I had the same concerns about visibility, but ended up getting the shorties anyway. The stock ones were just too damn ugly. I can say that I have ridden with guys who have the integrated/undertail jobs and I can hardly see them things and I'm right behind!

G

·
For Max Safety & Style Do 3 Things --

1. install short-stalk or cat-eye type turn signals
2. add integrator so the rear brake light flashes quickly then stays bright.
3. add the small, unobtrusive LED \"domino\" style arrays to the license plate or even the LED license frame -- also wired to the integrator.

If you do a lot of downshift engine-braking remember to regularly tap the brake lights to get the attention of following vehicles. Also, I use hand signals when planning turns. (those of us over 45 remember.....)

IMHO the brake lights are most critical. I've seen the rear underside-mounted signals and to me they are not very bright during the day. However, I've seen the back-off style brake light blinking and the blinking LED arrays and they do get one's attention.

G

·
I was concerned with viz too, but I put an intergrater on and I love it! Looks sooooo much better, and shows up alot better than I thought :)

G

·
Re:

I did the intergrator, but had to install shorttie signals. It wasn't visable enough. I rode behind my bike, so I could see for myself. I could barely tell they were blinking. The intergrator is now on my bench.

G

·
I went on a group ride a couple of months ago where the leader had REALLY small flush mounts. Most of us riders couldn't see them so you could only image how much a cage driver would see.
I had integrated on my last bike and never felt like drivers where paying enough attention to that single rear taillight. So with this bike I'm pretty sure I'm just going to leave it stock.

G

·
I would like to add the shorts - really it's more about the stock signals being so dang ugly. I am all for visibility - I really like to feel like cages can see me - so I don't think I would go for flush mounts/integration.

mattimoto

G

·
I think if you are that concerned with safety you should leave the bike in its stock configuration. It was designed with safety in mind. I have never been able to leave anything stock (cages, bikes, or whatever), so I like the custom look. It is true that the intergrater is not as easy to tell which way you are turning from a distance as the stock turn signals, however it does work. It gets the point across, and you as a motorcyclist are responsible for being aware of what is going on around you. I never rely on my turnsignals anyway! I ALWAYS look at my surroundings (includeing behind me by physically turning my head not just depending on what I can see in my mirror) befor turning etc. Motorcycles fit nicely into blind spots, and it does not matter what kind of turnsignals you have when this occurs, (which is pretty regularly). So I always ride like nobody can see me, because alot of the time they don't..... So my opinion (and we all know what opinions are like :wink: ) is do what makes you happy, just be carefull.............

G

·
Integration

I am running a two wheel junkie solo tail with their undertail and integrated lights. I also put on a clear alternatives lens with led lights. I was also concerned with running this setup as visibility would be compromised. But I think that the LED's grab peoples attention better than the stock lights. The integrated lights are very noticeable and I have seen many fewer people flying up on me when I am braking, they seem to pick them up better.

·
Registered
196 Posts
haha, this was just the oldest post i could find, thought id bring it back to the top one last time

·
Registered
22 Posts
The integrated turn signal brake light kit from streetracerparts.com are led's and are very visible day or night.
They are clear and look really cool. when they flash its yellow. Theres no integrater needed. Its very easy to wire with a plug for the brakes and two wires for turn signals with adapters. Best looking kit ive seen so far.

·
MOTORADOR
10,935 Posts
Rise!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have an integrated light. I also have built-in signals in my undertail. Many riders have commented on how visible they are. The undertail signals along with the integrated light forms an "L"- no mistaking which way I'm turning. And it looks cool as hell.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If you do this- Buy a really good integrated lamp. Those cheap crap ones from China they sell on Ebay are pretty much worthless. You'll know when you have a good one as it will have a reflector inside just like the OEM lamp.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
If you do this- Buy a really good integrated lamp. Those cheap crap ones from China they sell on Ebay are pretty much worthless. You'll know when you have a good one as it will have a reflector inside just like the OEM lamp.
Oh Dave..... :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts