Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to insure a track bike for comprehensive only in case it gets stolen?
i have a street bike and seperate track only bike now. street bike gets fulll all around coverage with state farm. i asked about insuring my track bike and got the answer no it would need liability and it would be a seperate policy. but liability isnt necessary for track only?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would think that in order to get theft coverage you would need a comprehensive policy, which would include liability. I used to have State Farm policies but it's been a few years.

I'm thinking that if you are worried about it getting stolen out of your garage, carport, etc., then maybe a renter's / homeowner's policy could cover it.

You wouldn't need liability for the track unless you were still paying off the bike and because lenders require it. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Not sure I would even worry about theft unless the bike's vulnerable where you're parking it. Then you might have to look at someone like Gieco, Progressive or some type of specialty insurance companies to see if they have some type of theft-only policies.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never thought about homeowners covering it. i'll look into that. but its not just the theft i'm concerned about. what if my house burns down to the ground including my bike.
progressive or geico wont cover anything resembling a race/track bike so those are out of the question. statefarm will cover it but again its a seperate policy than what i have with my street bike. and they qouted somewhere around 600/6month to insure the track bike seperately. i dont understand why they cant combine the two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know a ton of track day riders and the overwhelming majority don't have their track-only bikes insured. I actually don't know of any that do, but there are no doubt some out there. The reason being that they don't tell their insurance company that the bike is track-only and that way they can file a claim if they go down.

Anyway, the ones that I know to have track bikes insured are the ones who use their bikes for double duty (street and track). In that case, they fully insure their bikes and if they crash (or the bike gets stolen) they can file a payable claim.

In terms of crashes, as long as the insurance company knows that the bike was being ridden on the track to improve one's riding skills and not for the purposes of racing, than there shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know if all insurance companies will pay a claim such as that, but I've heard of it happening quite a bit.

If you have homeowner's insurance, and you park your bike in an enclosed garage, there's a good chance it's covered under your personal property coverage (even with a fire). But even still, if you own a home and have your track-bike garaged, why even bother insuring it to begin with. I've got 2 track-only bikes in my garage and neither are insured.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just treat it like the thousands of people who insure their off road dirt bikes. I have a policy for my track bike. It ended up including liability, but the majority of the cost was comprehensive.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Called my insurer a few months ago and asked what would be covered if my garage burned down, since I had 5 bikes in it at the time and 2 didn't have comprehensive. They confirmed that any road-legal vehicle would NOT be covered.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
The way it was described to me, I don't think anything with a VIN would be covered by the homeowners. Not sure about dirt bikes, as I didn't have any of those in my garage. Some day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts