Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those in NJ, who do you use for insurance in NJ?
I have been using Rider, but my rate doubled due to the "reclassification" of the SV to a sport bike. There is no way in he!! I will be paying $1000 :shock: for this bike! I don't pay anywhere near that for my M coupe.

Any suggestions?

Help :(

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
im in jersey and my premium didnt move at all. its weird, it like it didnt hit certain people. btw, i do use rider, still 416 a year

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's strange.
Do you have an SV650 or SV650s? Maybe they changed the s model to sport category. That would be really stupid. Maybe it was when your renewal was. I don't know, but this is really annoying. I don't know how people are willing to pay so much on bike insurance.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It depends on when you got your insurance as to whether or not it will affect you. All insurance carriers have the sv as a sportbike now. So your pretty much SOL. That's why next year I'll be moving to a triumph. Sad......but not too sad :twisted:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yup, they already sent out your renewal notice that's why you got the old rates. If you wanna check call and get a quote. You'll see they'll quote you something like 900+. That's gonna be your rate next year. Triumphs however are all classified as standards, even the daytonas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody use a carrier other than Rider?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
yep. welcome to our hell. i managed to slip in since they had already sent out the renewal notice. i'll either be moving to another state by then or possibly selling the bike when it comes time to renew

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
NJ sucks, plain and simple.....at least when it comes to vehicle insurance of any kind. :cry:

·
Banned
363 Posts
$1000 ? That is insane. I recently renewed with Rider, however $1k?? I am going to be pissed!

It does not surprise me.....A friend recently got a ZX6R and he pays over $2k! :shock:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
They want $1800 to insure the SV1Ks next year. I am definately gonna change companies in January when its time to renew. I would like to try and get an umbrella policy, to cover evrything, house, bikes, and car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I tried the umbrella thing, but NJM doesn't cover motorcycles regardless.
I'm gonna try state farm, else I'll be changing to just liability. They quoted that at 252. Still seems a bit high. It used to be ~170.
I tried Geico, but they said they haven't started covering motorcycles in NJ, only auto.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're right, I just tried after that previous post and got a quote of ~600.
That's more reasonable. I will still try state farm before I decide.
Anybody use independent agents?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah, I tried the umbrella thing, but NJM doesn't cover motorcycles regardless.
NJM is the best company hands down, but they can't be perfect. :roll:

Hey the money I save using them will cover my loss with Rider. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
DougZ said:
NJ sucks, plain and simple.....at least when it comes to vehicle insurance of any kind. :cry:
This is true. Mainline motorcycle insurance carriers, like Progressive and Dairyland, won't write bike insurance in NJ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm with Foremost Insurance. They are great. I live in a high risk zip-code, and my bike coverage with them is CHEAP!! Grab a quote from them, can't hurt.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts