Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my recent drop and JBag's crash I just wanted to share an important piece of insurance information that I learned when my wife totaled out her shadow last summer. If you ever damage your bike at all call your insurance provider (maybe even if you dont just so you know) and ask them if there is an amount you can claim before they actually raise your rates or put it on your driving record. When I was with farmers my deductible was $500 and i could put in a claim up to like $1100 before they would actually record it. The adjuster was pretty cool and gave me the run down (my wifes bike was totaled so it didn't matter). So if you drop a sport bike and do say $1000 of damage (by shop quotes) but you can buy the parts and fix it for like $400. Put in the claim $1000-$500 deductible and then take your $500 check for a free fix with no insurance consequences. I just wouldn't do it more then once or twice or your insurance my just drop you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
great to know, my cuz just went down and the damage looks to be in that range if we fix it vs a shop doing it ;D

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I wonder if insurance companies will get mad if you specifically ask them that question. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ My agent is the one that told me about it, he said that if the damage was minor to take the slightly smaller payout to save her rates. I would guess they just assume you are going to put in a claim regardless and this way at least they may save a few hundred bucks if people ask them to round it down.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
About three months into having my SV, I threw it on top of my leg in traffic at the same time that I threw my body on the ground. Anyways...

< $700 in parts needed to get the bike back to kosher. (including springs/emulators/race tail/race rear sets and some other goodies lol)

All paid for by the insurance company's $2800 check... lol.

Insurance went up <$1

I think every company is different. *shrugs*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts