Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(this might be an open forum question, not sure....)

i just turned a quarter of a century today and ive been told that insurance carriers usually drop your rates a little when you hit 25. is this true? if so, does it still depend on your driving record? i use liberty mutual and average about one ticket a year. LM doesnt seem to have ever done a check on me, so ive never seen an increase in my rates, which im hoping translates to a drop in the near future.

anyways. anyone know something about this?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ASCSurveyor said:
Not true.  Insurance drops a LOT after 25.  At least for me.  Before 25: Full coverage for me was ~$850.  After 25: ~$430.
how was your driving record, if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Big drop came for me at 26, another at 31 (Allstate)...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, ok i just called LM. for my car, my yearly goes from $936 to $470. fantastic. :)

for the bikes, they say that because they are classed differently, there is no change. ??? im happy with the car rebate, but i was hoping the bikes would apply as well. (i dont see why they shouldnt.)

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Too bad I turn 24 tomorrow and not 25... :-[

·
Registered
60 Posts
My insurance dropped alot as well when I turned 25. I didn't have the mc then so don't know if that rate would have gone.

For what it's worth, I felt so much more responsible the day I turned 25. The urges to ram my cage into other vehicles, do donuts, and speed excessively disappeared immediately as soon as the clock struck midnight. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gsguy said:
My insurance dropped alot as well when I turned 25. I didn't have the mc then so don't know if that rate would have gone.

For what it's worth, I felt so much more responsible the day I turned 25. The urges to ram my cage into other vehicles, do donuts, and speed excessively disappeared immediately as soon as the clock struck midnight.   ;)
lol, yeah, i dunno how they chose 25 as the magical age either, but whatever, ill take it. :p

Nudist said:
Too bad I turn 24 tomorrow and not 25... :-[
happy birthday-eve, fellow sagitarius. :)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Well in the wonderful state of MA they changed the law so that your insurance for you bike is based on how long you have had your Motorcycle License and NOT you license.  So i have had my license less than a year now!!!!!! ???

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NHSVnaked said:
Well in the wonderful state of MA they changed the law so that your insurance for you bike is based on how long you have had your Motorcycle License and NOT you license.  So i have had my license less than a year now!!!!!! ???
thats actually a *great* idea. i might look into talking to some people about that around here. not only does it emphasize experience over age, but it also gives you more impetus to take the class/test and actually have a MC endorsement.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
In Mass you dont have to take the course but it lowers your insurance by 100 and the course I found to be very easy. I took the class after about 3 months of riding my SV and found it to be easy but VERY informative!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have farmers and live in CA, my agent told me they don't do that anymore, it's every 3 yrs instead, so i guess after an accident your rates will subdue 3 yrs after that

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Same here. If you have an accident your insurance goes up for 3 years. USED TO BE 5 years!!! They just changed that. Unfortunately the state sets the rates for insurance not the insurance companies. So it sux. I pay about 60 a month for my bike

·
Registered
117 Posts
My rates never seem to drop, I got into an accident on my 25th birthday, and then a ticket 2 days before my 28th, and then another accident right before my 31st. So hoefully I can stay clean until my 34th this summer.

note: I was not found at fault in any of the accidents, and none were on the bike, but my company had to pay for me (for various reasons) so that is why my rates did not go down.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DaBuddha66 said:
My rates never seem to drop, I got into an accident on my 25th birthday, and then a ticket 2 days before my 28th, and then another accident right before my 31st.  So hoefully I can stay clean until my 34th this summer. 

note:  I was not found at fault in any of the accidents, and none were on the bike, but my company had to pay for me (for various reasons) so that is why my rates did not go down.
ahh, see i was wondering about this type of situation, because i get about a ticket a year. my thought is that if they are going to have an age cutoff for when you reach "maturity", shouldnt your proverbial slate be wiped clean for the insurance agent? in other words... your carrier says that, in essence, before this magical age, you are a higher risk, so your rates are higher. fair enough. but once you hit that magical age, shouldnt your rates go down *regardless* of past transgressions? since they chose to have a magical age, they are saying you are *now* an adult or more mature or whatever. sorta like being tried as a juvenile and your record being erased once you hit 18 (or 21 or whatever). seems to me that the same should apply, here: if theyre telling me i am a different person before and after a certain point, then i should be *treated* like a different person, right?

(did that make any sense? i was probably way too verbose and not nearly as eloquent as idve liked...)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The break is based on the fact that a large proportion of accidents involve individuals under the age of 25, however, not all of us match the statisitcs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NHSVnaked said:
In Mass you dont have to take the course but it lowers your insurance by 100 and the course I found to be very easy.  I took the class after about 3 months of riding my SV and found it to be easy but VERY informative!
The MSF only saved me $2 per month on my insurance with state farm - every little bit helps i guess. I would have hoped for more of a break.

Next thing you need to do is get married- it will drop again! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Roark said:
The MSF only saved me $2 per month on my insurance with state farm - every little bit helps i guess. I would have hoped for more of a break.

Next thing you need to do is get married- it will drop again!  ;)
with state farm the marriage & 25 drop is the same thing, whichever comes first. I got married a few months before I turned 25, so it didnt matter.

with a clean record my bike is $180 per year as apposed to $360 if i was under 25.

with my car the drop was almost half as well.

so guys go get married & save some $$$$$$$$$$!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts