Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something that will do better in the cold and wet than this olympia stealth :) The stealth is AWESOME in the summer but now the temps dropped its failing me...

Also thinking I'd like to be able to ride to work in a storm once in a while.

I found these:

Nelson-Rigg Arctic One-Piece Insulated Suit

Firstgear Thermo One-Piece Suit

But the price gap is weird... I'd like it under $100 cause generally these don't have armor, but that said the thermo suit above has some awesome reviews..

Any others out there that would be worth checking into?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Thermo Suit and it works quite well. Very comfortable, very warm. 40 freeway miles in 38* and I was still nice and warm. No armor means wearing proper gear underneath so depending on your build, you may need to go up a size. For me, the suit seems to fit about half a size larger than normal when wearing normal street clothes. A full size larger might make it a bit more comfy in full gear.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heated gear and regular rain suit?
Figured id try and hit two birds with one stone- don't really need heated gear, doesn't get that cold (at least not for me, I've been out in a mesh jacket and jeans at 30 degrees for a half hour, frozen but not really the end of the world)

That said I may try out heated grips- just one less thing to have to put on and take off.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Heated grips are huge. It's a real chicken/egg argument whether your hands/feet or core get cold first, but not really worth rehashing. Get the grips, you'll really like them. I have no opinion on the suits. I have an Aerostich that works okay in the rain until it gets so wet that water bypasses the zippers and pools in your crotch.

Supposedly the newer ones have better zippers, but this one is only 18 years old, and still works great - I prefer not to ride in the rain. ;D

·
Registered
818 Posts
We don't get much rain/cold here, so the Stealth, rain gear, layers/electric is my approach.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
A good one piece rain suit,makes a huge differance.
Once the air is not getting to you,it's much warmer!
I have a "CORTECH".

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These Aerostitch Roadcrafter suits cost 900+ bucks HAHA

That's such a joke to me I mean, maybe they are quality, made in the USA. but cmon, $900 bucks for clothing?

Really think just something basic for 100-150 max would suffice, im not riding to the moon yet. :p

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I really just threw out the stich because despite it's expense - even when I bought it a long time ago - it still leaks through the zippers in heavy rain. I knew it wasn't what you were looking for. Although, they are high quality and fully padded/armored - with the addition of optional hip and back pads, and approved for wear at the track day events I attended after I bought it (in the novice groups). It's more like a much more versatile set of 1 piece leathers than just a rain suit. Not a joke at all. One suit for 18 years, that's a pretty good return on investment.

BOT: You might want to check out Frogg Toggs. They're just rainsuits without insulation, but I know a couple people who swear by them. I've also found I prefer to have my insulation and rain protection separate. It makes for a more versatile system.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I love my Thermo. And I loved my Symtec Grip Heaters. I could wear jeans and a t-**** under the Thermo down to 32*F at 60mph without feeling it. The Thermo does come about half a size bigger than the rack size.

Ask any other questions about the suit that aren't already answered, but the end of the story is I'd recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
i suggest you never look at Klim gear prices...
Holy HELL! That's some 'spensive stuff. Have you ever worn any of it? I guess my 'stich ain't that bad.*

*It'll be a lot better after I send it back to them for a little refresh this winter. I should be able to get at least another 18 years out of it - if I last that long. Maybe I'll specify to be buried in it? ;D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is some expensive gear for sure... ridiculous haha.

I could spend more on gear from them then i did on my whole SV haha. And probably only have a shirt and pants.

·
very big dumb
8,901 Posts
That is some expensive gear for sure... ridiculous haha.

I could spend more on gear from them then i did on my whole SV haha. And probably only have a shirt and pants.
if klim is considered better than aerostitch, and bkk got 18 years out of his stitch, it could be reasonable to assume that the klim stuff will outlast your sv.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
18 years and counting! This does make color choice a bit difficult. My suit was bought four bikes ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
These Aerostitch Roadcrafter suits cost 900+ bucks HAHA

That's such a joke to me I mean, maybe they are quality, made in the USA. but cmon, $900 bucks for clothing?

Really think just something basic for 100-150 max would suffice, im not riding to the moon yet. :p
laugh away. if you have the coin and are going to ride in cold or rain the "stitch" is tough to beat. if not, stuff some newspapers down the front of your jacket and cut some holes in a garbage bag. inexspencive and disposable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The thing with Aerostich stuff is it's going to be around for a long, long time. It's not disposable and lasts forever. You can put hundreds of thousands of miles on it. The new zippers are much better than the old ones, and Aerostich will retrofit them to old suits. They repair suits after a crash.

Sooner or later a lot of the people that really rack up miles wind up in Aerostich gear. It has pockets where you want them, lasts forever, goes on and off in seconds, is comfortable as hell. Frankly I ride more because I can get in and out of it in seconds and wear real office clothes on a motorcycle.

I also crashed a Roadcrafter, actually touching down at around 70 MPH. It tore up the suit pretty good, but I walked away fine. A friend of mine hit a deer at over 80MPH in a Darien. Again, no damage. It's hard to evaluate that experience but I still have all my own skin, no grafts!, so others may protect, but I know my Aerostich will do the job. It's not worth testing a substitute.

After being a motorcyclist for some time I started making strategic investments in how I spent money. Motorcycles come and go, but the Aerostich? That will outlast my kitchen remodel.

If you're making $20,000 a year it may seem crazy, and maybe it's not a great use of your income. If you can afford it Aerostich stuff will wear forever and last like a good friend. My Combat Touring boots outlasted four motorcycles. If I can avoid crashing too badly or packing on the pounds I expect this suit could be my last.

A

1 - 20 of 25 Posts