Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Zoran's Bearing kit, Jim's speedo kit and a lot of TL stuff.  I also have a set of Galfer lines, I am using the stock SV m/c and I have TLS clip ons.  The forks are TLS forks, they are the same length as the SV forks.  The springs are TLR, which are .94 kg/mm.  I used Hyabusa stock spacers in the forks which gives me 15 mm preload with the adjusters all the way out.  I also used the compression valving out of my TLR forks and added the stock amount of Bel Ray 7 wt. oil.  All told, the forks ran about $250.00 to get them where I am now.

I am using a stock TLS triple, upper and lower, a TLR front wheel, Gixxer rotors which I haven't got yet.  I looked a long time for a fender and gave up, I purchased a stock TLR item new for $130.00.  I am going to weld up the speedo mount, I have an LP headlight mount coming, so in a week or so I will be ready to go.  This is the first of a few posts to document the stuff folks such as TWF and Jim have shared.  I will post up detailed install pictures so some of the questions folks have will be answered.

click for a big 'un

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Re: Installing TLS Front End on a FIrst Gen SV

Cool beans. I have gixxer rotors for a GSXR 600 front wheel...let me know if you want them cheap. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Dang it, I just paid for a set and they are enroute, I will keep you in mind though, thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Did you do swap of the fork internals yourself? If so, would you happen to have pics of those? I don't know how much harder it would be to work on inverted forks as opposed to the cheapy SV forks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yes I do a lot of TL forks for planet guys.  I am on hiatus from fork fixing, it was getting in the way of having a life.  I was getting several sets and it was getting expensive.  Fork oil mainly.  I did a lot of seals.  Anyway, i happened to get a set of busa forks and noted the spacer was longer than the S spacer and so I started putting them in TLS forks with R springs.

Disassembling a cartridge fork, is easy if you have the tools.

Loosen cap and compress spring

Hand Spring Compressor

Bench Mount Spring Compressor

Remove cap

Pull out spacer and dump out the spring and the oil. (Note Pour oil in pan, not on floor like me!)

You can remove the cartridge, but it is not required for changing springs and oil, only to change valving.  I usually pull them on old forks to clean it all.  Remove bolt in bottom while holding cartridge with holder.  Note I made mine out of 1" copper pipe, YMMV.

Pull out cartridge.........

Then you can slide up the dust cover, then remove the clip for the seal and hammer the fork legs apart.  Then you have dust seal, clip, oil seal, washer, outer tube bushing, inner tube bushing, easy as pie..............

·
Registered
653 Posts

Great description of the fork removal procedure. Many people on the site have made the transition to USD forks, this last part of the thread should be made Sticky or added to the "fork sticky" in SVModifications.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Nice writeup, good pics! I get sooo tempted to drop $$$ when I see posts like this one!

·
Registered
737 Posts

Once again, Doug - you are my hero!

Thanks for that great write up and clear pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started on the disassembly today, probably get her all done over the weekend.  I need to fab up a small A Frame and 2 X 4 to hold her up.  I got the ignition, clutch lever and right grip on the new front end.  Looks simple.  I can lift the whole front end pretty easily so putting it up and taking it down will be easy.  I will get the old front end off, take out the upper race, do a little TWF recommended trimming and shaping and then in she goes.  I can't wait.  My daughter, whose bike it actually is, cannot wait either.  Here are some disassemling pictures.  Saturday we will get the thing swapped I bet, we have a football game tomorrow night....

Click for big 'uns

·
Registered
653 Posts

did you buy the special security torx socket that removesd the ingintion bolts? or did you drill out a T-30 or whatever it is?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts

algreen said:
did you buy the special security torx socket that removesd the ingintion bolts? or did you drill out a T-30 or whatever it is?
You can get a set of security torx bits cheap at Sears. $25 for an entire set. Plus you get plenty others to use for other bolts too....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have a set of the bits

·
Registered
653 Posts

wacky_woodchuck said:
You can get a set of security torx bits cheap at Sears.  $25 for an entire set.  Plus you get plenty others to use for other bolts too....
+1 Picked them up today. I'm almost ready for the front end swap since I can now remove the ignition ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I am going to knock it out this weekend, I have all the parts, I just need to do the work. TWF gave me some great instructions for his bearing installation so I am eager to provide good photos of that. Also I am pretty excited about mounting up the headlight and signals. Should be a blast. More pictures to come.

·
Registered
744 Posts
TLRDOug said:
My daughter, whose bike it actually is, cannot wait either.
Some more pictures of her would be good as well...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some more to her today!

Note, TLRDoug's Daughter is 17! :mad:

As we continued. I resolved the support issue with bigger jack stands and a 2X4.

Popped off the old front end, Diana seemed to like it!

Popped out the stock upper race

Installed the new one and Zoran's bearing, very nice, also a little trimming in the neck to get rid of burs and such........

Hung the TLS front end

Checked it lock to lock

Torqued the thing to 32 ft-lbs to seat everything, then back off 1/2 turn, install upper and washer and torque to 58 ft-lbs.

Added wheel and speedo parts, cleaning up the final bits of the speedo hook up and I welded the speedo bracket upsidedown, so I will fix it tomorrow!

Bracket for speedo sensor hole was too small, easy fix

T

·
0 Posts

that metal dust seal,is that stock TL part?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes, it is a TLR stock dust seal, the S has a larger version of the rubber one. I prefer the R metal version, looks good, doesn't crack.

This is the TLR part way cheaper than the S part and probably the Gixxer part too.

Part Number: 51644-12C00
Description: SEAL,STEERING L
Price: $2.96

This is the TLS part

Part Number: 51643-33E00
Description: SEAL,STEERING U
Price: $7.86

·
Registered
153 Posts
So doug the Ex500 is already gone?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts