Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I wiped down the area I want to install the pads on 3 times with rubbing alcohol, heated up the area and the pad with a heat gun and applied the pads. Come back an hour later and the pads are half hanging off my tank...:angry1:

So, I peel them off and go at the tank with a paint cleaner and again with the rubbing alcohol. Heat the tank and pads again and apply them. This time I take some straps and towels to keep pressure on them. I wanted to ride in today but the instructions say to let them cure for 24 hours before use so my bike is still sitting in the garage at home with the straps holding the pads in place.

We'll see how it goes tonight.

Update: I called the place I bought them from and they're sending me out a new set today free of charge. I'm going to send this set back to them tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
sounds like the tank wasn't/isn't clean enough, maybe some silicone still on it.... i know this sounds dumb, but, spray some WD40 on the tank and buff it dry..it REALLY makes stuff stick, removeable, but STUCK..

hopefully you didn't bugger the adhesive, but, all's not lost if ya did.. go to a craft store and get some water based 'white' superglue.. it dries clear and you can still get it off when needed...

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like the tank wasn't/isn't clean enough, maybe some silicone still on it.... i know this sounds dumb, but, spray some WD40 on the tank and buff it dry..it REALLY makes stuff stick, removeable, but STUCK..

hopefully you didn't bugger the adhesive, but, all's not lost if ya did.. go to a craft store and get some water based 'white' superglue.. it dries clear and you can still get it off when needed...
I think that's what I'm going to have to do. ****ing thing is peeling off again...:cussing:

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
here's the stuff...

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's the stuff...

So, does that stuff allow you to remove the pads later and not make a huge mess that will be impossible to clean up later?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Are the Stompgrips you have old? The adhesive just may be shot.
+1.
My first set, bought on clearance for $10 fell right off. If he glue gets old or is stored improperly, they don't work. Just call stomp and they'll send you a new set.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
+1.
My first set, bought on clearance for $10 fell right off. If he glue gets old or is stored improperly, they don't work. Just call stomp and they'll send you a new set.
Yup...that's what i did. Cure time 3 days for best results. That 24hr bs doesn't work.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I called the place I bought them from and they're going to replace them free of charge. Kudos to 1tail.com

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
So, does that stuff allow you to remove the pads later and not make a huge mess that will be impossible to clean up later?
for future ref... yes, and cleans up with water, but, holds like superglue, yet, removeable..

good news on the replacements...this time, use WD40 to clean with!! and watch handling the pads..

you might try a little soapy water in a spray bottle before ya 'stick' them on, this way you can move them if ya have to..the soapy water evaporates, it's stuck!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yup...that's what i did. Cure time 3 days for best results. That 24hr bs doesn't work.
Mine were peeling off on their own at the end of the 24hr wait. By 72hrs, they would have been on the round whether I rode them or not.
It is a good product but they really need to put expiration dates on the packages so the old shot doesn't get sold in the first place.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
f

you might try a little soapy water in a spray bottle before ya 'stick' them on, this way you can move them if ya have to..the soapy water evaporates, it's stuck!
have you really tried this with stompgrips?
I know it works with vinyl stickers but I wouldn't give out that advice for $45 "stickers" if you aren't certain.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
unless they use a waterbased adhesive, i don't see a prob..

same principals apply..

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for future ref... yes, and cleans up with water, but, holds like superglue, yet, removeable..

good news on the replacements...this time, use WD40 to clean with!! and watch handling the pads..

I barely touched the edges at all and I used rubbing alcohol and went over the area on the tank 3 times before I installed the pads. Tank was completely dry when I installed them too. :dontknow:

I followed their directions to the letter. I think I just got some old pads.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
unless they use a waterbased adhesive, i don't see a prob..

same principals apply..
OK, so you HAVE NOT. Thanks for the clarification.

They could be water-based or something. Compared to the fresh set, the adhesive on the old set seemed to have swollen and was rather thick. Could be swollen with water. Also, WD40 is possible a reasonable first step for cleaning the tank but clearly leaves an oily coating that will have to be removed by other means. (soap, water...) For the set that worked, I used brake cleaner, soap, Isopropanol, in that order.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Mine were peeling off on their own at the end of the 24hr wait. By 72hrs, they would have been on the round whether I rode them or not.
It is a good product but they really need to put expiration dates on the packages so the old shot doesn't get sold in the first place.
Yeah, the fresh stuff works best. Even better when you leave them on for 36 hours. The stomp grip pads i have on my KLX are still holding tight, and i've sent them thru hell and back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts