Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First: I bought my SV a few months back which came with a Sharkskinz aftermarket fairing kit. I am looking into getting some motosliders but need some more direction on what/how to go about it. Im guessing the no-cut frame sliders wont work on my fairings since I dont have the bolt that the oem "S" fairings have. So I'm guessing it's safe to get the "S" sliders and cutting holes in my fairing?

Second: After looking at my fairings, it looks like the hole for the sliders will have to go through the seam where they bolt together. Now, I consider myself to be a mechanically inclined individual and I would be perfectly comfortable with drilling a hole in a normal piece of fairing, but drilling through the seam poses a few questions for me.
A.) How do I go about drilling through the 2 separate pieces without damaging/cracking the fairing? as one piece, or drill 2 hole halves in each section of the fairing then bolt back together?
B.) Will drilling a hole through the seam make my fairings any more unstable or weak?
c.) Should I just sac up and pay the ~$100 for a shop to do it for me?

rough estimate of where the hole would have to be cut

·
Registered
109 Posts
Get a hole saw [ame]http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D180048-3-Inch-Standard-Bi-Metal/dp/B00005LEZK/ref=sr_1_10?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1345476030&sr=1-10[/ame]... in the correct size, and measure very very carefully where it needs to be. Go slow and dont let the "bit" walk. If you can find one with a center drill bit it will definitely help keep the cut going through straight. Good luck. Measure 100 times cut once.

As to the concern about the two pieces, I think you will be o.k. because there are enough fasteners near by to keep the pieces squeeze together. It will be hard to tell what the hole will look like from your provided pic. If more of it is on the lower fairing that's good, if more of it is on the upper fairing it may look really bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive heard of sticking play dough to the inside of the farings with the sliders bolted on to leave an impression in the dough. Are there any other techniques?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The Sharkskinz are easy to cut, they're made from a woven fabric rather than the cheaper method of using CSM or a chopper gun, you should have no trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts